Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

Beginner Landscape & astrophotgraphy

Hi

New to the forums so hello everyone. I live in the UK Wales to be more specific.

I own a Samsung GX10 which is basically a Pentax K10 bought as a Christmas gift. Although I've had it for 4 years I still consider myself a beginner and only used the kit lens it came with. I know a few basics of photography from experimenting and reading on-line.

I'm very interested in Astrophotography as I live under fairly dark skies & landscapes. I was wondering what lens to get I was thinking of Pentax 21mm DA prime lens or equivalent as I want to take pictures of night sky. Also what lens would be suitable for photographing the moon?

I was looking at getting a Nikon D7000 & selling the GX10 but I like the looks of the k-5 and would have very nice low light performance any advice on lenses camera choice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rob4001 Quote
Hi

New to the forums so hello everyone. I live in the UK Wales to be more specific.

I own a Samsung GX10 which is basically a Pentax K10 bought as a Christmas gift. Although I've had it for 4 years I still consider myself a beginner and only used the kit lens it came with. I know a few basics of photography from experimenting and reading on-line.

I'm very interested in Astrophotography as I live under fairly dark skies & landscapes. I was wondering what lens to get I was thinking of Pentax 21mm DA prime lens or equivalent as I want to take pictures of night sky. Also what lens would be suitable for photographing the moon?

I was looking at getting a Nikon D7000 & selling the GX10 but I like the looks of the k-5 and would have very nice low light performance any advice on lenses camera choice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
Unless you care about action photography or video, you may as well stick to Pentax, as the K-5 delivers just as good IQ and great handling

The 21mm would be fine for astrophotography, while for the moon, you might want to get the DA* 300mm and a teleconverter (though IMO it's not it to spend money on gear just for this purpose, as the moon gets boring fairly quickly ). On the other hand, star photos are always fun, as you can experiment with different foregrounds and exposures.

BTW, if you do get a K-5, the GPS unit is a must-have!
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Module 39012 B&H Photo Video

Nebula in Orion Again
(20 second exposure, 400mm, 1600 iso)

Save as above without Astrotracer
(20 second exposure, 400mm, 1600 iso)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the info that gps looks like a great addition. Nice photos of the Orion nebula too.
12-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rob4001 Quote
I'm very interested in Astrophotography as I live under fairly dark skies & landscapes.
Read through this thread, good info about astro.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/143409-k-5-astrophotography.html
And this.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/113178-astrophotography.html