Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Polarized lens in the tropics

Does a camara benefit the same way a human eye does wearing premium sunglasses? UV/Polarized lenses at the beach, in the snowy slopes or the open ocean? Are these filters just for effect or is there a reasonable benefit to place one on your lens under these conditions?

12-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many photographer call it an essential tool to have in your bag, so yeah it's very useful.
Ex: A Great Example Of What A Polarizing Filter Does | Fstoppers
12-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
I see. Thanxs!
12-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
Any particular brand you could recommend? From my sunglasses experience, not all poor alizarin is the same.

12-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Glad to help!
Not that they steal some (mostly unwanted) light so you have to expose just a little longer.
I really should kick myself to use my polarizing filters...
12-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maromero Quote
Any particular brand you could recommend? From my sunglasses experience, not all poor alizarin is the same.
It starts to get a bit dated but this test says all you need to know:
Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
And:
Polarizing filters test - supplement - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Just don't get fake ones of Ebay or similar, if they are too cheap it's more often than not a fake.
12-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most common are the circular polarizers and they are a handy filter to have. I tend to stay with Hoya and B&W with my filters but there are others out there that are good. Since I have several lenses that take 49mm filters, buying top of the line filters isn't a big cost. I'm not going to say there isn't a $10 filter available that is good but I would rather spend more for one I know is good. I have a CPL that came with a lens package deal that seems to have poorer quality glass than a pair of Walmart sunglasses. I'm not one to throw anything away so it finds use as a lens cap.
12-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I recently bought one only to shoot through glass without reflections. I do not like the darkened-sky effect, however. A couple of my lenses do that naturally, and I always frown when I see it :-)

12-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Since I have several lenses that take 49mm filters, buying top of the line filters isn't a big cost.
QuoteOriginally posted by Maromero Quote
Any particular brand you could recommend?
I mostly use FA primes which take 49mm... When buying my CPL the store had 3 different Hoya ones in stock at varying price brackets I bought the one in the middle and have no regrets... I also bought a cheap one (Jessops own brand) in a 67mm which was next to useless on my Tamron 17-50 (now sold)...
Currently my widest lens is the kit-18-55WR so I need to get a 52mm CPL... I'll most likely get the Hoya one again...