Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Auto function on K-30

Hi guys,

i've just bought Pentax K-30, even thou i was proclaimed Nikon user

anyway, the first thing i've noticed is that in room conditions with lights turned on, and with the flash of the camera up, when shooting in auto mode the shutter speed stays at ''3 or ''2. So if i try to shoot some movement everything get's blurry and so on.. on the other cameras i've used so far the auto mode takes complete care of everything, so i was wondering if this is the case with every K30 model or somethings wrong with mine?

thanks
Baze

12-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 or 3 seconds? Is your lens cap off?

Normally when the flash is up it should be shooting in the 1/60-1/125s range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The shutter speed should stay high for a few seconds while the flash charges, then go to a normal range when it is charged.

Is the flash firing at all?
12-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
@Adam i turned the camera myself to check it the first time even thou i could see trough the viewfinder )

@elliott yes it's firing, i'm attaching an example with the exif to check it out.

12-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There's nothing wrong with your K-30, it is operating as designed. It is selecting a night scene mode that is intended to illuminate the background as well as the subject.

Don't use Green Mode. Use Program (P-mode). It will select an aperture, shutter speed and ISO just like Green mode, but you will have better control and less guessing by the camera.
12-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
@audiobomber good to hear it, i'm always shooting on manual but it happens sometimes my wife to take the camera and she know just how to point and shoot. So compared to the previous camera (the auto mode was novice proof), this was strange, but it's good to know that it's working as it should

thanks
12-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
There's nothing wrong with your K-30, it is operating as designed. It is selecting a night scene mode that is intended to illuminate the background as well as the subject.

Don't use Green Mode. Use Program (P-mode). It will select an aperture, shutter speed and ISO just like Green mode, but you will have better control and less guessing by the camera.
I guess that is something in newer bodies, I know my K100D will do the same as he was expecting. I've never had the K-5 in any full auto mode.
12-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GixxerMKD Quote
@audiobomber good to hear it, i'm always shooting on manual but it happens sometimes my wife to take the camera and she know just how to point and shoot. So compared to the previous camera (the auto mode was novice proof), this was strange, but it's good to know that it's working as it should

thanks
There's another thread with the same issue, it took a while to figure it out. Strange choice by Pentax, one would expect Green Mode to be foolproof with such a basic scenario.

12-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, you're not in P mode, that would explain it.

The K-30 isn't a true intro-level camera, so it doesn't offer "auto pict", which is the smart scene mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ah, you're not in P mode, that would explain it.

The K-30 isn't a true intro-level camera, so it doesn't offer "auto pict", which is the smart scene mode.
Actually it does have Auto-pict, it is what the green 'Auto' position does. However the logic of deciding what scene mode to engage is a bit weird at times, at least when using the OVF. (WIth live view it probably works better because it can analyse the scene rather than just guessing based on a few settings and the light level, for instance it will actually switch to face detect mode if there are people in the scene. )

One thing I noticed some time ago is that apart from focal length it also takes into consideration the focus distance. For instance in low light indoors and with flash engaged and OVF turning the focus to infinity selects landscape.
Turning it closer goes to a mode with the smiley face that usually represents face detect mode but it must mean something else as in OVF mode face detection cannot possibly work, and I don't see that symbol in the scene mode selection options.
Closer yet and it goes to the night scene mode, where it will keep exposure times long so that the background is illuminated sufficiently by available light and the foreground is illuminated by flash.
Finally at much nearer focus it switches to macro mode.

The K-r bahaves quite similarly but not exactly the same.

I haven't used auto much myself but the few times I've used it the K-r seemed to get it right more often than the K-30.