Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Sigma flash 530 sometimes not detected by camera

hi guys,

I have a Sigma EF 530 ST flash and a K20 and K5.
I have had a problem with the flash since new with both cameras. Sometimes it just goes to max power and overexposes photos.
What I've found is that sometimes the camera forgets the flash is connected and will expose for no flash (for example, 1/10 and 800ISO instead of 1/90 and 200).

Has anyone experienced this with their cameras and what is the solution?
There's no telling when this will happen and sometimes it causes me to lose some really good shots, not to mention looking like an idiot.

I'm probably going to by a Metz flash next so any opinions would be appreciated.

Regards
Amir

12-21-2012, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect you may either have dirty camera flash shoe pads, or sticky flash gun contact pins. I've broken the tangs on the foot of my Sigma 530 Super flash twice. The first time I replaced the complete bottom (including the red illuminator). No problems.

The second time, just a new foot and reused the original pins (much cheaper). In putting the spring loaded pins in, I got slight stiction when soldering, so sometimes I now have an issue with the contact. The symptoms are:

• Changing the lens zoom level is not reflected in the the flash gun FL zooming.
  • Shutter speed can be above 1/180s sync speed.

So I suggest you press down on the flash pins and see if they pop up freely or tardily.

I usually just need to move the foot in and out a bit in the socket to clear the connection.

Dan.
12-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I suspect you may either have dirty camera flash shoe pads, or sticky flash gun contact pins. I've broken the tangs on the foot of my Sigma 530 Super flash twice. The first time I replaced the complete bottom (including the red illuminator). No problems.

The second time, just a new foot and reused the original pins (much cheaper). In putting the spring loaded pins in, I got slight stiction when soldering, so sometimes I now have an issue with the contact. The symptoms are:

• Changing the lens zoom level is not reflected in the the flash gun FL zooming.
  • Shutter speed can be above 1/180s sync speed.

So I suggest you press down on the flash pins and see if they pop up freely or tardily.

I usually just need to move the foot in and out a bit in the socket to clear the connection.

Dan.
hi Dan,

Nice to see another Aussie.
I checked the pins but all seem to be strong and responsive.
One thing i have noticed though is that sometimes removing it and putting it back on makes a difference but this could be related to the camera detecting it.
It's all a bit weird and unreliable unfortunately. What's stranger is that it doesn't happen all the time. I might take 10 shots and then one or two in the middle will be white. Very weird. Next flash will be a Metz I think.

Thanks for taking the time write. Merry Christmas.
12-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use to own that flash. I used it with a k10. I would have to re-seat it at times to get the camera to recognize it. Once the connection was good, it never failed. So I never had any problems after taking any shots once I got the camera and flash communicating.

12-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like Rockmaster I've used the 530 on my K10 with no problems, then on my K7, now on my K5.
12-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks Rockmaster - that's what I'll have to do I think.