Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

after lens change K7 would not shoot??

I have less than 2,000 shots on my K7 and am original owner.
Yesterday I got a Xmas present from my cousin: a used Pentax FA 28-90 SMC which he picked up at a flea market in his area. The lens appeared quite clean and the mounting ring and interfaces appeared undamaged and clean.

After I mounted this lens, I saw in green mode the anti-shake was showing "off". (I had never done anything to antishake options, left at default "on", since i have had the camera).

And the shutter button would only go down halfway and focus but would not go down all the way to release shutter. I discovered that holding the shooting button down a bit longer would cause the timer to start blinking and that would force a shot. Focusing worked and the foto registered fine.

MF or AF.S made no difference... the exact same sequence occurred... the only possible way to get a picture was like I described. I changed back to my former (new bought) Pentax lens and the same problems occurred.

I am sure I had the camera OFF when I first mounted this used lens...

Going into the menus, I found that all modes had the anti-shake choices disabled (could not be highlighted for changes one way or other) except for USER mode. And even here, after changing the options with arrows, hitting OK just changed it to the opposite mode selected.

Finally I just did a reset from the menu and that seemed to fix everything.... phew!

I am now afraid of trying the used lens again... does it sound like I have a faulty lens??

12-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try cleaning the lens contacts, because that lens should work just fine with your camera! Also, make sure the aperture ring is set to "A".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try cleaning the lens contacts, because that lens should work just fine with your camera! Also, make sure the aperture ring is set to "A".
Thank you Adam... i had tried the aperture ring on A before...will try again after cleaning... i was just concerned if the lens had some problem and threw the camera settings off again... i don't want to create a bigger problem
12-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have the setting for aperture ring permitted? If not the camera won't shoot if it doesn't get the aperture from the lens.

12-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Do you have the setting for aperture ring permitted? If not the camera won't shoot if it doesn't get the aperture from the lens.
Thank you, Visual Darness...

Please pardon these simplistic questions... I really have tried to dig through the manual.

I went into custom menu and programmed both ways (Aperture Permitted and Aperture Prohibited). (When I changed to PERMITTED, the usual green display of the number 1 went to number 2, but it was in white, not green.... Is that correct?)

Anyway, there was no difference in the results; i tried both modes on 2 different Pentax lenses that have aperture rings. On MANUAL, moving the aperture ring on the lens to various settings only produces a flashing F and stops do not appear....

However, I found that by moving the rear dial in Av mode, I could change the F stops OK. This was in Manual. But why doesn't moving the aperture ring on the lens produce the same result?
12-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you move the aperture ring off the A it will show F-- no matter the setting, the modern camera can't "sense" the aperture that way (also called crippled K-mount). Instead you meter with the green button. Any aperture setting on the camera only actually work when the aperture ring is in the A-mode as it's only then the camera can control the aperture. Though by setting the "Aperture ring Permitted" you can still shot despite the camera not sensing the aperture setting.

Can you shoot despite the aperture saying F-- when setting "Aperture ring Permitted"? Are you sure that you really turned the ring to the A setting, usually a button to press to go there?
12-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If you move the aperture ring off the A it will show F-- no matter the setting, the modern camera can't "sense" the aperture that way (also called crippled K-mount). Instead you meter with the green button. Any aperture setting on the camera only actually work when the aperture ring is in the A-mode as it's only then the camera can control the aperture. Though by setting the "Aperture ring Permitted" you can still shot despite the camera not sensing the aperture setting.

Can you shoot despite the aperture saying F-- when setting "Aperture ring Permitted"? Are you sure that you really turned the ring to the A setting, usually a button to press to go there?
Ahhh... finally i understand! When the manual said a Custom menu change to "PERMITTED" will create shutter release when the ring is not set to "A".... i understood that to mean that whatever F stop I move the actual lens ring on would register that F stop.

Instead what they really mean is that the "PERMITTED" will only allow just the shutter release itself (if lens ring is not on "A") but you still have to adjust the Fstop by turning the back dial and NOT by turning the lens ring to the F stop u want.....

Thanks for your patience and help ... the way it was written was very confusing to me

12-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's the problem with the crippled K-mount, you can't use the aperture ring without loosing automatic functions.
12-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, that's the problem with the crippled K-mount, you can't use the aperture ring without loosing automatic functions.
Tack för allting !

PS: why were my posts tagged with a yellow "report post" sign?
12-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phantomfantom Quote
Tack för allting !

PS: why were my posts tagged with a yellow "report post" sign?
Oh, another swede? Det var så lite!

That is the report button, not a marker.
12-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh, another swede? Det var så lite!

That is the report button, not a marker.
not really a Swede, but i like languages... my parents were ukrainian, and because i often conduct opera, i need to know italian and german. BTW, one of the greatest heldentenors of the 1900s was a ukrainian singer, Modest Menzinsky, who sang at the Royal Opera House in Stockholm. He should be buried there, I think.

And of course, there will never be anyone as good as Birgit Nilsson!

(As a footnote, i have just ordered used Pentax 645N and the Yashica-Mat 124G. Can't wait....)

All the best,

Adrian
12-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have less than 2,000 shots on my K7 and am original owner.
Yesterday I got a Xmas present from my cousin: a used Pentax FA 28-90 SMC which he picked up at a flea market in his area. The lens appeared quite clean and the mounting ring and interfaces appeared undamaged and clean.

After I mounted this lens, I saw in green mode the anti-shake was showing "off". (I had never done anything to antishake options, left at default "on", since i have had the camera).

And the shutter button would only go down halfway and focus but would not go down all the way to release shutter. I discovered that holding the shooting button down a bit longer would cause the timer to start blinking and that would force a shot. Focusing worked and the foto registered fine.

MF or AF.S made no difference... the exact same sequence occurred... the only possible way to get a picture was like I described. I changed back to my former (new bought) Pentax lens and the same problems occurred.

I am sure I had the camera OFF when I first mounted this used lens...

Going into the menus, I found that all modes had the anti-shake choices disabled (could not be highlighted for changes one way or other) except for USER mode. And even here, after changing the options with arrows, hitting OK just changed it to the opposite mode selected.

Finally I just did a reset from the menu and that seemed to fix everything.... phew!

I am now afraid of trying the used lens again... does it sound like I have a faulty lens??
This is true when the Aperture is NOT in the "A" position regardless of the "PERMITTED" function (in green mode)

As most will suggest, if you are going to use a manual lens (which this one falls into that category) you can't use 'green mode'. I would suggest for beginners, try to use 'Av mode' (which I call half manual) and leave the lens locked in 'A' position. this allow you to set the aperture and ISO and the camera will still set the shutter speed for you

You may have also noticed that all of the custom setting in the menu are hided as well in green mode.
12-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, thank you, bdparker! I did see that the custom settings are inactive in green mode. I believe I got into them in USER mode...

My confusion arose when I thought that with manual lenses, an over-ride command is given to allow you to MANUALLY adjust the aperture ring on the lens body itself to get to an F stop, like in the old film cameras.

I now realize that the PERMITTED option only allows you to take a foto when the ring is not set to "A". It does not register different F values if you turn the ring....

understood :-))
12-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you got things to work but I'll throw out an alternative explanation. If you somehow set the 2sec delay on the camera then the anti-shake will be turned off by the camera. So it is possible that this had nothing to do with the lens.

Also, I see several posts about this being a manual lens, just to be clear this is not a manual lens (FA 28-90), as long as it is in the 'A' position. If you take it off of 'A' then the camera cannot 'read' the lens and so you have to treat it as manual.

The FA 28-90 is nice lens with good range. It is not the sharpest in the deck but you can get good images from it if you stop down a bit. And since it weighs next to nothing it is easy to carry.