Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
does pentax digital camera utility work with q?

i'm having problems with the pdcu version 4.40, and q jpegs, can't get any adjustments i make in laboratory to work, is the q not supported or do i have to use the software that came with the q ? anyone else have this happen ?

12-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

File compatability issues in RAW converter software should, in theory, be limited to RAW files themselves. The program can read JPEGs, and a JPEG is a generic format, so I can't see what difference it would make where the JPEG came from ???

Firstly, have you copied the JPEGs you want to edit to the computer first? And then , when you set PDCU to 'browse' the folder with the shots, does it display the thumbnails in the 'browser' window? Once they are displayed then selecting one should 'open' it in the preview pane ready for your adjustments.

If this is all happening OK then what specifically are the issues or errors that are occuring?
12-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

AFAIK, you have to use the Pentax version of Silkypix that came with the camera (or download it online)
12-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't installed it yet as I wasn't sure if it would overwrite the existing version. If it does will it read the K-7, *istD, and K100D files?

Only one way to find out I guess......

12-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

AFAIK it reads .DNG / .PEF RAW files and JPEGs. The camera they are shot on should not make any difference in terms of compatability, but there may be variations in the specific paramater metadata that the camera is recording embedded in each RAW file. But it still should open and edit the files, but it may not recognise and record some specific parameters from a particular camera.
12-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
i had wanted to use the pentax digital camera utility since i use that for the k5 , etc, jpeg or raw, but when i try to change any parameter ( i guess is the correct term ) , using the sliders for exposure , or straighten, etc. all that happens is a green bar on the bottom of the laboratory page stops halfway, and that's it, nothing changes on the image, this is with jpegs so far, have not tried this with a raw image yet, will try that . didn't want to have to use yet another program , but maybe have to use the one that came with the q.
12-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just read somewhere that the Q and K-30 have their own unique software, not the same as PDCU 4.x.
12-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
installed this new software-- i don't know , was just getting to like pdcu 4,4; adam, i think you better sit down with pentax/ricoh and have a long talk with those guys.

12-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
installed this new software-- i don't know , was just getting to like pdcu 4,4...
Want cross-platform? Get LR... works great!

...my 2 cents...M
12-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
i've tried lightroom couldn't really get into it, then went back to the pentax utiility and once you get used to it, i think it gives better image quality using pef , and the controls/ parameters are pretty simple to understand, takes time to learn these different platforms no matter which one you try i guess
12-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

For some reason your program is hanging up there? What happens if you just open any old JPEG from your computer - ie not one specifically from the Q? And is it working OK with the Q RAW files? The only thing I can think of is that the program can take a long time to build the thumbnails in the folder it is told to 'watch' (the one where you select the shot to work on). Is it possible that it is still struggling away there to load all the images while you've selected one to edit, and its just seizing up?

I have found that it can take up to a minute to load a folder with a few hundred images, and I can't do anything until its completed that.

Just a note - not wanting to sound like a lecturer , (but you've given me something to add to my Mini Guide to PDCU ) - RAW converter software (like PDCU or LR) are 'Parametric Image Editors' - ie they work by the user setting 'parameters'. A single parameter could be data that says ' shadow correction slider position +2', or ' White Balance fine tune slider amber -3). This is recorded as metadata and will be either written to the RAW file and saved, or recorded in the program database on the computer. All the edits made will then be restored should the file be reopened in future. PDCU will write the data to the file itself, LR AFAIK will record to its internal database.