Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
prospec lenses

I have a couple 'prospec' lenses that I'd like to try on my K10, but am hesitant to do it because upon inspection of the lens mount it looks like there is a 'pin' added that isn't on any of my other pentax lenses or other brands of lenses that I have........can anyone tell me if this 'pin' will mess up my camera in any way?? I am adding a picture of it..........

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
That is the Ricoh pin, it can get stuck in the AF screw drive on auto focus bodies and can make the lens nearly impossible to remove. There are some variations in the pin design though, not all will get stuck.

If it is fairly large diameter, rounded and doesn't stick out very far, it will usually be safe, I have an older zoom that has that style and it has never been a problem.

That one looks smaller than the safe one I have, so I wouldn't trust it. You can usually remove them fairly easily by disassembling the mount. You could also put a dab of superglue over it and hold it down until it dries.
12-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That is the Ricoh pin, it can get stuck in the AF screw drive on auto focus bodies and can make the lens nearly impossible to remove. There are some variations in the pin design though, not all will get stuck.

If it is fairly large diameter, rounded and doesn't stick out very far, it will usually be safe, I have an older zoom that has that style and it has never been a problem.

That one looks smaller than the safe one I have, so I wouldn't trust it. You can usually remove them fairly easily by disassembling the mount. You could also put a dab of superglue over it and hold it down until it dries.
Thanks for that!! I don't think I'll try it, but I may try to remove the pin when I'm feeling 'mechanically inclined', LOL. I do have a set of jewelers screwdrivers so it shouldn't be that hard.....(famous last words).......
12-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pasojoy Quote
Thanks for that!! I don't think I'll try it, but I may try to remove the pin when I'm feeling 'mechanically inclined', LOL. I do have a set of jewelers screwdrivers so it shouldn't be that hard.....(famous last words).......
Here is a set of illustrated instructions on its removal. See the recommendation on the screwdriver to use....

12-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Here is a set of illustrated instructions on its removal. See the recommendation on the screwdriver to use....
AWESOME, thanks!!
12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote

Good point there about the pin sizes. I have a number of Ricoh lenses from my XR-P film days and have never had any problem with them on the Pentax. I was never sure what all the fuss was about. On inspection all are the larger rounded type. Nothing at all like the one in the photo (just lucky I guess)