Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flash won't fire :( What's up?

I recently purchased an external hot shoe flash. I've been playing around with it a little, but the thing is puzzling me. Sometimes it will fire, and other times it won't fire. At first I thought maybe there was a problem with the contacts on my camera, but I don't think that's it. Then I thought maybe it was a battery issue....but even with fresh batteries in both the flash, and in my camera, it would take maybe 5 or 6 photos, and then on consecutive photos stop firing. What I did notice is that if I played with settings, such as switching the camera out of manual mode and putting into either AUTO or P mode - the flash would fire. OR, if while in Manual mode I made adjustments to shutter speed, ISO, and aperture settings, the flash would also fire. Given these events, my only conclusion is that there are specific settings or conditions that will cause the flash to NOT fire. The problem is I don't know what these conditions or settings are.

My flash is a full manual flash (a Viltrox Speedlite JY620). It is a Hong Kong brand of flash, and it was pretty cheap. I don't know if this is part of my problem or not.

Hoping for help. Thanks!

12-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
With shutter speeds faster than 1/180s the flash is disabled.
12-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
With shutter speeds faster than 1/180s the flash is disabled.
Correct... Check out the flash section of Pentaxforums and have a read of stobistblog (google is your friend) but as elliot inferred, it appears your exceeding the Pentax sync speed of 1/180th of a second...

Keep plugging away though... Flash can be a lot of fun and get you some really stunning results... Read up and practice hard!!