Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Bag suggestions please

Came into some Christmas money and looking to buy a tripod and bag, I have a k7 and figure I'll need space for a long telephoto maybe a midrange, my kit 18-55, flash, maybe a few more.

So is that too much gear for a sling bag?

I'd like to get a monopod for shooting at horse shows this summer too. I have seen the Benro meFroto kinda liked the whole idea but would use my whole fund.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a combo kit that would fit the bill?

Thanks
Alex

12-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Bags are tough to recommend as there're literally hundreds to chose from and different folks want different things from them...

I think you need a few and although I'd love a couple of Domke ones they're really expensive here in the UK so I' currently using a Crumpler Messenger Boy 5500 as my everyday bag and a knockoff Billingham (£5 ebay purchase) when I need to carry more gear... The crumpler fits my K5 with FA35 plus FA28, FA50 (both hooded) and my DFA100macro (in pouch) as well as a couple of odds and ends in the front pocket...

I have a tripod with a video style head (although I'd prefer a ball) and mostly I drop the handle down and hook it over the strap of the bag, I've got used to its position when walking and it now rarely hits me in the back of the knee...

IMO... Spend the money on a good tripod and get a cheap bag, cos you'll end up with a few before you settle on a few (I've had over a dozen bags in 4 years) Once you have a tripod you'll want a better one but you'll find it hard to justify buying one cos you already have one...

I ramble but my point is (I hope) clear...
12-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi

I have several bags including a Lowepro backpack which can carry camera gear and a 15" laptop. For short trips I use a smaller shoulder bag (Lowepro Nova 180 AW) which can hold the K-7, 55-300 DA L, 18-55 WR, Sigma 105mm Macro plus a flash, filters, cleaning gear and battery grip. It is a fairly tight squeeze but manageable.
12-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go to the review section and look under backpacks and bags, there are many reviews of currently available bags written by members here. Sling bags are listed under both categories.