Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #181

QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
Well, here in the Netherlands, I've seen enough commercial things of Pentax due to the K10 and K7. Not on TV, but others are seen here. But yeah, more commercial things, but don't think it will be in at least 2 or 3 years. More due to the fact they never been really a good advert company.
I come from Slovakia, partially live in Austria and Denmark. Due to my work I travel a lot. I can tell you I do not know any adverts. Literally non existant and if I ask, I rather get horrible answer on them. I was in Barcelona November last year. I saw in electronic chain (I think french one) shop in the middle of huge shopping attempt to sell K7 for 1200 Euros!!! That was at least 4 years old camera. No K5, no K30. K5 IIs is 150 Eur more expensive than D 7100 which has brand new sensor (or at least 24MPix) and scores better in DXO Mark.

I would say, that not just they have not been good in advert as advertisement, they are fantastic in making people to be very advert to them in terms of marketing. I am saying from place of loving my K5, MX, ME and having 5 lenses bought in 4 month. I really like my equipment, but it makes me wonder. I looked at 3 lenses recently, which are interesting to me only to realize that they are not produced with K mount.

At the end of the day, I wanna produce good images. But still I would like to feel secure with equipment and as a customer.

Last edited by em-tx; 05-02-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo
05-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #182

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I just came across this review video. Nikon d7100 vs Pentax K5 IIs Image test - YouTube

One of the top comments is: "I said this before on other channel and I'll say it again; Whoever heading Pentax's marketing office should be fired ASAP! Brilliant camera that lacks proper promoting. Thanks for sharing this video and your channel deserve more viewers and subs".
Well....besides this video I guess is from Pentax enthusiast and even I love Pentax I need to comment:
It almost identically - little better for Nikon - scores on DXO. Of course in terms of new camera its not a big win against older one, but still.
More importantly you HAVE MORE LENSES available in HI END QUALITY for Nikon. Some producers like Sigma, Tokina or Tamron do not produce interesting Hi End lenses for K mount. Not to mention that top Nikkors are better than top Pentax lenses. You have no video lenses, cause Pentax do not care about video mode (which is shame with this picture quality).

Considering firing people, I think not only in marketing departement would be refreshing. I bought F 35-70 f 3,5-4,5 lens for 39 Eur (which is already overpriced). That lens is SHARPER and AF is FASTER and MORE ACCURATE than my (kit) lens 35mm f 2,4 DAL. How comes that old zoom beats up new (even lower end - and that zoom is also lower end) prime? Thats like a joke in case of new prime vs. 20 years old zoom. There is so much technological age difference between these lenses, that 35mm should be better on whole. ( I have tested 35mm prime - its within manufacturer tolerance. I will check also front or back focus issue, but still it makes me wonder.)

To nail it: D 7100 is 150 Eur cheaper.

Do not get me wrong, I love Pentax, but come on guys. They can do better. I hear lot of defence - like Pentax is overally cheaper and well, it is not. They do produce great cameras and do not market them. They do have technology, but not FF is available. They know service in EU is not good and did not change as I learned for 4 years to better (Maybe now are signs that something moved on). They have great limited, but they are already old and no replacement on the way. If I look at the name of thread "Why is Pentax Neglected?" I think this is more than enough. I understand that competition is tight, but alas thats what they went for. They produce great gear (I - like many think best APS-C), but is it really it?

However I am proud owner of Pentax equipment, especially K5. I know its at least on par with D 7000 or 7D and trick is in the way I do photographs.

Last edited by em-tx; 05-01-2013 at 04:01 PM.
05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #183

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Yes very true. If their profit expectations would change it can lead to future cameras getting much more expensive than we have come to expect from Pentax traditionally. Its like Pentax is the 'last man standing' afaik that has been keeping the prices down besides coming up with some awesome quality products, especially the K-5's.
Pentax is not cheaper!!!
D 7100 is cca 1050 Eur
K 5 IIs is 1200 Eur
...and in USA they again made lenses more expensive and I can just hope this will not come to Europe.
Business decisions are difficult on this scale. But even Nikon, Canon, Sony or Fuji or another manufactures does not get it for free.

I am sorry for bragging, just got emotional. I had 4 hour shoot which went great. But than to look and think about future of my equipment - in terms of development and service makes me angry a bit.

Last edited by em-tx; 05-02-2013 at 07:34 PM.
05-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #184

When Pentax made it's debut years ago it was obviously the best camera around for the bucks. Now I cannot see a clear reason to buy one over the others. To me, a non-pro, but avid amature most quality cameras appear similar, especially as the public gets more comfortable with digital and the format has become standardized. I bought the K-01 because it looked like fun and I like it and I can use my old lenses, but seriously I'm not sure why I should buy a Pentax, other than nostalgia.

05-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #185
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stepmac Quote
When Pentax made it's debut years ago it was obviously the best camera around for the bucks. Now I cannot see a clear reason to buy one over the others. To me, a non-pro, but avid amature most quality cameras appear similar, especially as the public gets more comfortable with digital and the format has become standardized. I bought the K-01 because it looked like fun and I like it and I can use my old lenses, but seriously I'm not sure why I should buy a Pentax, other than nostalgia.
In the 50s, Pentax wasn't cheap when adjusted for inflation etc. Same thing for the 70s and 80s. The reason people get that impression is the K1000.
05-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
In the 50s, Pentax wasn't cheap when adjusted for inflation etc. Same thing for the 70s and 80s. The reason people get that impression is the K1000.
And the damage Ned's pricing strategy and hoya's neglect did to the brand.
05-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #187

I bought my first ES and Spotmatic in Japan. They weren't too expensive as I recall. I bought several prime lenses at the time and still use them with my K-01 and K100D. Everybody was using the Spotmatic in the 60's and 70's. I don't recall the ES being very popular, but I loved mine until I sent it off to be overhauled and a different camera was returned to me that didn't work. I bought a used ES II and it never worked either. Then I bought a K1000 and a few years later an ME Super which I would still use if I had not gone digital.

I'm still having difficulty with focusing my K-01. Peaking doesn't work as well, or as quickly as I'd like and using the old screw mount lenses via the K-mount adapter, while they work, are slow to use. I wonder if Pentax will make a follow on mirrorless camera with a view finder that I can focus thru.

05-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #188
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Why is Pentax neglected?
It's not around here on this forum, that's for sure.

But I do know what you mean, it's cos were exclusive!
05-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #189

I think it probably has to do with Advertising. I've never saw a Pentax ad while Canikon have ads all over the place here. Even the odd Olympus PEN ad!

Hopefully I'll be getting a K5 soon so that will be one less Pentax neglecting person.