Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #46

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sarahparish91 Quote
On a similar topic, I find it really odd that some pro photographers will laugh at you if you ask them what they use as "it's not the camera, but the person behind it", which I do agree with, but then some of those same photographers will look at you like an alien if you say you use a pentax. And chances are, they've never even shot with one!
Yes I have wondered on that many times. If our brain is the thing that really makes a photograph, than why look ashfaced when you mention Pentax? Hypocrisy, ain't it?

There was a time when I seriously wanted to go with a Nikon/Canon for their FF's but I think its worth waiting for Pentax to come out with a FF and than I should be able to use my oh-so-awesome Pentax primes.

01-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #47
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Yes I have wondered on that many times. If our brain is the thing that really makes a photograph, than why look ashfaced when you mention Pentax? Hypocrisy, ain't it?

There was a time when I seriously wanted to go with a Nikon/Canon for their FF's but I think its worth waiting for Pentax to come out with a FF and than I should be able to use my oh-so-awesome Pentax primes.
I've not had this experience and I now shoot often alongside of well-known concert photographers in Europe. None have ever bashed me for my K-5, including the guy that's Canon-sponsored and holsters two 5DIIIs. In fact, a the last concert, we were going over my choice for lenses over dinner, talking about how I use the FA35 for everything and back up with the M85. No one has crapped on me anywhere in the world.
01-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
No one has crapped on me anywhere in the world.
Good on you for that Snake. Though I have had a Canon pro look at my camera like 'you can't be serious!!' when I was attempting to photograph some taekwando matches in my area. Perhaps because I had a K-7 with a slowish M 80-200 f4? (as that calls for manual focusing, which he may have thought insane!) Well, I came off with excellent photos that day. Pre-focusing does it.
01-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #49

Photos: Albums
I haven't had anything happen in person, but I have had comments made online. Nothing will sway me though, I'm staying with pentax

01-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #50
Banned

I haven't had anything happen in person, but I have had comments made online. Nothing will sway me though, I'm staying with pentax
Who cares about online comments?
01-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On a similar topic, I find it really odd that some pro photographers will laugh at you if you ask them what they use as "it's not the camera, but the person behind it", which I do agree with, but then some of those same photographers will look at you like an alien if you say you use a pentax. And chances are, they've never even shot with one!
I've actually had someone say that to me as a simultaneous compliment to my photos and insult to my camera, like using a pentax was a disability I'd managed to overcome. I'm going to see if I can get a handicap parking sticker because of the camera I'm burdened with.

Mostly no one I know in person cares what camera anyone uses, apart from hoping to share equipment with one another.
01-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Concerning Pentax, I tried all over the Newcastle-on-Tyne region for somebody to help with an intended Pentax a DSLR but nobody was willing to assist me. Went down to Manchester for the Christmas holiday, walked into Jessops, Trafford Center to receive all the help and information I needed, as a result I purchased my K-30. There are plenty of on-line suppliers for Pentax but the major retailers should supply what the customer requires instead of complaing about loss of sales to he internet. Pentax are an excellent camera and I have several Vivitar K mount lenses from my old K1000 (still in regular use). Perhaps this is just marketing by the other brands.

01-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brianlt Quote
Perhaps this is just marketing by the other brands.
Its like when we direct a light on a subject our eyes go to that area, and the rest of the subject fall into the shadows.
Due to heavy marketing, the Canons and Nikons have lit their products, but Pentax is in the shadows. Its a different issue as to who brings what quality at the table.
01-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #54
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Its like when we direct a light on a subject our eyes go to that area, and the rest of the subject fall into the shadows.
Due to heavy marketing, the Canons and Nikons have lit their products, but Pentax is in the shadows. Its a different issue as to who brings what quality at the table.
Canon and Nikon bring quality to the table, too. To say otherwise is to be in denial.
01-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #55
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Canon and Nikon bring quality to the table, too. To say otherwise is to be in denial.
Or to be happily content with what you have, which is perfectly fine. Not knowing what else is around when you get the results you want from what you have is no handicap.
01-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Not knowing what else is around when you get the results you want from what you have is no handicap.
Very well put. And that's what has been what Pentax users have been knowing, they know the Canikons are good, but so is Pentax, hence the loyalty. Though I have seen many(me included) who think of going over to the Canikons just because Pentax doesn't has a FF yet, but I like Pentax enough that I can wait for the FF, though I am ready to strangle someone at Pentax for this dealy
01-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #57
Pentaxian

The only comment I have ever heard in regards to me using Pentax is " I used to have a Spotmatic or K1000". I did not feel more professional when I used a D200 or D3. But then I still use film so perhaps either I worry less about what others think or just do not notice it. Funny that an ad on Craiglist would not only eliminated Pentax but also Leica, Hasselblad, Phase One etc. Sounds more like some one who thinks they know more about cameras or photography then they really do. Disclaimer though as there is little chance I would buy a FF if it came out, at least not for several years as do not need it hence my experiences and observations may not be the same as for those who think they need FF.
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #58

Original Poster
Generally I have seen on this forum that some diehard film-era members get agitated knowing an FF is expected from Pentax thinking that those(like me) who expect it just want to catch-up with the Canikons or that APS-C's won't perform as good as FF. For me, those are not the reasons for wanting an FF as I am more than happy using APS-C's (edge-to-edge sharpness comparitively seems to be better with APS-C's), but than APS-C's don't give me larger printouts, or do they? That's where the need for FF arises. Than again I can crop a little, when needed, and don't think too much about my image size using an FF.

Last edited by voyager13; 01-07-2013 at 11:11 PM.
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first camera is a k-m. Soon to be sold to my brother. My sister just asked me over the weekend when she found out I was selling to my brother, "why didnt you sell it to me, I was interested in it too.

Another aquaintance who was on the market for a camera after research was convinced about the K-01. He went to the shops but ofcourse they didnt have. So he settled for a fujiflim camera that they had at the store.
01-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #60
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think the other "problem" for Pentax is this - they bring out single products. If it is a hit then the publicity is good, but if it fails (perceived or otherwise) then the whole brand takes a hit and we have to wait 6 months to a year for something else.

Canon and Nikon produce a lot more cameras. One dud device, therefore, does not tarnish the whole product line. They win out because in the volume of camera bodies they produce there is bound to be a winner. For example, Canon can fit their articulating screen on an average performance camera, but know everyone will rave about it because of the screen and the masses will buy it for that reason. If Pentax did the same and it was the only camera they release in the year then the quality of images would come under much high scrutiny.

Chris