Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Minolta had good in the 80's, now they are taken over by Sony. Hence there lenses can be used on Sony cameras AFAIK.

Their*

Though, you are correct. But only their autofocus lenses can be used.(Maxxum lenses) MD mount is pretty much reserved for EOS and M4/3 cameras.

02-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #167
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tahoejeepmom Quote
What about poor Minolta They were big back in the 80s I think it was.
Bought by Sony, but brand didn't survive that transition. Pentax brand survived the buyouts, but Ricoh will have to work hard to get better market share than Sony.
02-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #168

It will be interesting how the market plays out, especially with Sony's advances with cameras like the RX1
02-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #169

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I see very few Pentaxes although the president of the camera club I'm in has a K-7 plus lots of older Pentax stuff.

I started in 1968 with a Spotmatic, then a SF-X (aka SF1) in '89, a *istD in 2007, a K100D in 2011, a K-7 in 2012, and a Q a few weeks back.

However, I also bought this older Pentax a few months back:
v good

02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #170

Always wondered that too. I've got a Nikon but will be moving to the Pentax K-5 series myslef.
04-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I actually had someone at a Wolf Camera store tell me I was stupid for going with Pentax when I originally got the Kx, and that I should have gotten a Nikon instead. he even tried to get me to send the Kx back and buy Nikon from them!
I took my K-30 to Best Buy to find a proper Camera case. The Bozo's who were working the Camera area were trying to convince me to buy a Nikon D5100 because it had a flip out screen ( Face palm )
04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be willing to bet one of the drops my K-5 survived without incident would have sheared a flip-out LCD right off the camera....

04-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #173
Veteran Member

May be slow and steady will win the race! But they have to prove that with the (hopefully) upcoming Full Frame.
04-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #174

I think, we are photographers and not a racers. If Pentax want to survive and compete with Canon and Nikon, they need to go out with FF and rather serious one. In Europe people rarely sees them as serious camera makers, since there is no FF even there is (albeit old) MF. Its sad. It would also help to come with new set of lenses, especially improve their speeds and resolution. Today I found myself to look for Sigma lenses for my K5.
If they would be really smart, they would implement ETTR in automated mode (theory based on fact that darker picture you have less data and more noise you have) and full control over video mode. Alas, lets hope.

Last edited by em-tx; 04-29-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: misspell
04-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Pentax's marketing slogan needs to be something like "Rediscover the joy of shooting". And then an ad campaign that just shows two photographers, one using a pentax and the other using some other brand. All that would happen is the other brand guy is constantly fiddling with his camera and missing shots while the pentax user is shooting and having a good time.

Marketing isn't rocket science. You just have to pick something to say and then say it over and over and over and over and over. You do have to actually DO it though. Pentax, I'm looking at you.
04-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
Marketing isn't rocket science. You just have to pick something to say and then say it over and over and over and over and over. You do have to actually DO it though. Pentax, I'm looking at you.
Marketing costs money. Pentax has a small market share compared to Nikon and Canon. If Ricoh were to market Pentax and simultaneously develop new products, expand the number of bodies and market segments and keep their camera and lens prices competitive over their comparatively smaller unit volume, the profit expectation of Pentax Ricoh Imaging would ........ change.

I'm not saying they won't - but I am saying that business decision isn't as simple as it appears on the surface.
04-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #177

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Ricoh were to market Pentax and simultaneously develop new products, expand the number of bodies and market segments and keep their camera and lens prices competitive over their comparatively smaller unit volume, the profit expectation of Pentax Ricoh Imaging would ........ change.
Yes very true. If their profit expectations would change it can lead to future cameras getting much more expensive than we have come to expect from Pentax traditionally. Its like Pentax is the 'last man standing' afaik that has been keeping the prices down besides coming up with some awesome quality products, especially the K-5's.
05-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Marketing costs money. Pentax has a small market share compared to Nikon and Canon. If Ricoh were to market Pentax and simultaneously develop new products, expand the number of bodies and market segments and keep their camera and lens prices competitive over their comparatively smaller unit volume, the profit expectation of Pentax Ricoh Imaging would ........ change.

I'm not saying they won't - but I am saying that business decision isn't as simple as it appears on the surface.
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Yes very true. If their profit expectations would change it can lead to future cameras getting much more expensive than we have come to expect from Pentax traditionally. Its like Pentax is the 'last man standing' afaik that has been keeping the prices down besides coming up with some awesome quality products, especially the K-5's.
It feels as if Ricoh is taking the first steps toward building the brand. At least it feels that way here in the uSA. Unfortunately when you are small, growth from a small number is still a small number. We won't see appreciable unit volume increases for a while - not until percentage increases are built on larger numbers.
05-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #179

I live in Europe and I never in my life saw a Pentax advertisement (except from old, small paper prints). I went to shop where I print in search for some glass and they answered me, that they can not help me with Pentax, cause they do not know/hear about them. But for them they lost it on AF, no FF and QC issues. In another shop, owner told me bad stories about QC in Pentax, worse about their service (which was confirmed by Pentax service(Man) - since he was only one for 2 countries with his little work-shop) and lack of competitive glass. In electronic chain shops you see 4 vitrines of Canon and Nikon each and 1 box for Pentax - which is filled with Fuji glass. They need to do a lot in Europe to get them at least respected. And if they wanna push in, they need to introduce serious advantage vs Canon or Nikon, since prices are comparable.
05-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #180

QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
I live in Europe and I never in my life saw a Pentax advertisement (except from old, small paper prints). I went to shop where I print in search for some glass and they answered me, that they can not help me with Pentax, cause they do not know/hear about them. But for them they lost it on AF, no FF and QC issues. In another shop, owner told me bad stories about QC in Pentax, worse about their service (which was confirmed by Pentax service(Man) - since he was only one for 2 countries with his little work-shop) and lack of competitive glass. In electronic chain shops you see 4 vitrines of Canon and Nikon each and 1 box for Pentax - which is filled with Fuji glass. They need to do a lot in Europe to get them at least respected. And if they wanna push in, they need to introduce serious advantage vs Canon or Nikon, since prices are comparable.
Well, here in the Netherlands, I've seen enough commercial things of Pentax due to the K10 and K7. Not on TV, but others are seen here. But yeah, more commercial things, but don't think it will be in at least 2 or 3 years. More due to the fact they never been really a good advert company.