Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Question about Sunpak Flash

Moderator Contact Form Message

I couldn't find the site to ask my question. It did say I could ask a moderator.

I just purchased a K-01, so I could use my old K lenses.
I have a Sunpak Softlite 1600A flash attachment left over from my film camera days and someone told me that using it on the digital camera may mess up the camera electronics. Is there a quick answer, like use or don't use the flash?

Any help appreciated. I've basically been away from anything other than point and shoot for twenty years.

Jim

12-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to proper section.

Last edited by Tom S.; 12-27-2012 at 06:23 AM.
12-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a question of the flash's trigger voltage. For this info I like checking Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages. According to that page, the 1600A is NOT safe for modern cameras, having a trigger voltage of over 40v, about an order of magnitude beyond safe range.
12-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Jim,

Welcome aboard. I was in your situation about 2 years ago. Questions like yours are ones that can easily be answered here. Jeff went and looked it up for you and gave the site as a future reference (thanks Jeff).

You can get some pretty nice new flashes for <$100 if you know what to look for and for less used.
Try looking through this section:
Flashes (Third-party) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I have the following flash and have been very happy with it:
Bell & Howell (TUMAX) Z680AF-P reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

12-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Another good resource is the Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison site:
The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison