Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K-x from a guy like this. Altogether he took 400 pictures, then decided he needed a point and shoot. That was good for me. The k-x was almost half price. The K-x makes a great third body to put a telephoto on. All I can say about that sensor is, I really miss it. For a great number of my shots 6 MP is enough. Having a camera like that would save oodles of hard drive space.

12-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I bought my K-x from a guy like this. Altogether he took 400 pictures, then decided he needed a point and shoot. That was good for me. The k-x was almost half price. The K-x makes a great third body to put a telephoto on. All I can say about that sensor is, I really miss it. For a great number of my shots 6 MP is enough. Having a camera like that would save oodles of hard drive space.
K-x = 6MP? " Its highlights include a 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor with excellent low-light performance,"
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
You're heading in the right direction! Just wanted to mention, using low iso and f/8 shutter speeds at night will require longer exposures of several seconds. So you'll need a tripod, or the porch railing you're using. It's sometimes difficult to hold the shutter button down that long, so you could use the camera's self-timer, or a remote shutter switch. You're doing great - enjoy the learning process
I always tote a tripod with me when I do a night run. You never know what you might have out there. Long exposure RAW shots make for some of the niftiest images. Even shot wide open, you still will probably need a lengthy exposure time simply because you're going to want to keep your ISO as low as possible.

The biggest common factor on all these shots is they were shot with RAW. I can't stress enough how valuable the ability to shoot RAW is for night and twilight photography.

EDIT: It should be noted that two of these shots (2 and 4) actually employed those big ugly sodium lights as the focus. Never underestimate the value of anything when you're out shooting, you never know what you could wind up with.

30 seconds, shot wide open, ISO 200 @18mm on the kit...

15 seconds, f/6.3, ISO 400 30.6mm with the kit lens

This sunset shot looks fast, but considering I was almost shooting into the sun just off-frame to the right...
1/200sec, f/3.5(Wide open), 18mm ISO 400

4 sec, f/3.5, ISO10 (yes, 10...), 9.8mm with a hacked Canon PowerShot A470

Last edited by Sagitta; 12-28-2012 at 01:54 PM.
12-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've got a tripod on order (a late Christmas gift) but it hasn't arrived yet.

According to the manual, in Manual mode, you set the mode to "M", then turn the e-dial to adjust the shutter speed. I just did this again, and the shutter speed started out at 500. Turning the dial from right to left, the speed dropped down to 350, then 250, then jumped back up to 1000, then it started down again. Computers I understand, having been a programmer for many years (starting with the IBM 370 - I'm dating myself here), but this thing seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. No matter.

Anyway, just for the heck of it, this is what that scene looks like in daylight:

Attached Images

01-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlg118 Quote
I've got a tripod on order (a late Christmas gift) but it hasn't arrived yet.

According to the manual, in Manual mode, you set the mode to "M", then turn the e-dial to adjust the shutter speed. I just did this again, and the shutter speed started out at 500. Turning the dial from right to left, the speed dropped down to 350, then 250, then jumped back up to 1000, then it started down again. Computers I understand, having been a programmer for many years (starting with the IBM 370 - I'm dating myself here), but this thing seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. No matter.

Anyway, just for the heck of it, this is what that scene looks like in daylight:
Afternoon and Happy New Year!

What you are seeing is a transition of units. Shutter Speed ranges from 1/4000 of a second (I forget exactly, but is something close), through 1/hundredths of a second, to 1/tenths of a second, to full seconds up to 30 seconds. So for:
  • Thousands of a second you see - 4000, 2000, 1000
  • Hundredths of a second you see - 100, 250, 350 ... etc.
  • Tenths of a second you see - 0.4" (0.4 seconds), 0.3" ... etc. They use the " symbol so that you can tell the difference between tents of seconds and whole seconds
  • Seconds you see - 1, 2, 3, 10, 20, 30 seconds
With this in mind, play with it again and watch the numbers cascade. They are playing with a very limited and fixed amount of real estate - especially on the top LCD and within the viewfinder (on the bottom LCD).

Also, just for fun - have you though of trying the night shots off the front porch with a little bit of moving traffic. You get red tail light streams and white head light streams.... Crank the aperture down to f16 to f22, and ISO down to 200 in order to push the shutter speed up to as long as 30 seconds. With a long shutter speed, you catch blurred moving traffic.

You might want to also pickup a wired shutter release, to use with your tripod. Pentax uses the same connector as Canon.
I started off with the 360 and still have my green 360 BAL card.

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-01-2013 at 04:48 PM.
01-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
What you are seeing is a transition of units.
500-->350-->250-->1000 with one click of the e-dial the same way in between is never right.

It's either user error, the "1000" being mis-read (unlikely as 180 should be next in the sequence) or accidentally hitting a button that caused the camera to set it's own exposure (the "AE-L" button does this on the K110d when in M-mode, a shift to 'program line' is the default I believe), or camera error, namely a funky e-dial. I'd guess it's an accidental AE-L press, but could be wrong.
01-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #52
Pentaxian

If I were to guess, its the camera being set where its automatically controlling its aperture. As you slow the shutter the aperture will open up to compensate and the seconds displayed will adjust from slower to faster with the change in aperture.
01-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #53
Pentaxian

You may have a jumpy dial and it can be solved by simply using it a bit. If they are left unused for too long they can collect dirt or for some other reason become a bit jumpy. My old K-7 did the same for a while but stopped it after some use.

01-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Just a warning with that cable release - not all Pentax cameras allow a cable release. So make sure yours does. You can get a remote if it doesn't or just use the 2 second timer.
01-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #55
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Just a warning with that cable release - not all Pentax cameras allow a cable release. So make sure yours does. You can get a remote if it doesn't or just use the 2 second timer.
The K100D/K110D does support wired cable release and wireless remotes.
01-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The K100D/K110D does support wired cable release and wireless remotes.
Yes, I have one of each. Still waiting for the tripod.
02-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #57

I have been reading this topic with great interest, being fairly new to DSLR photography, I have learned a lot from this discussion, thanks everybody.
02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Oh! Not sure if it was mentioned, but if you shoot on a tripod, turn off in camera shake reduction. They'll counteract each other if you leave it on and it will degrade your image quality as the camera tries to reduce shake that doesn't actually exist.
02-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Go even further. Turn on the 2 second delay to reduce mirror shake and on a K-5 it automatically turns off shake reduction.