Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums and I have to say, that's top-class gear you got there for your starter kit! Anyways,

Use DNG always. PEF is somewhat obsolete right now... lots of software won't recognize K-5 IIs PEF files.

as for settings, I usually use TAv indoors on my K-5 IIs, and so far don't feel the need to use my Metz 58 AF-2 with it most of the time. I let the camera play between 80-3200 ISO, sometimes even 5000, as long as the shots are just for posting online (e.g. Facebook). When using it to cover paid events though, I put the flash on A mode and bounce, with the camera on full manual except AF. Yup what applies to the K-5 classic also applies to the K-5 IIs - it's almost the same thing except for the newly-revamped AF and LCD.
Thanks for the additional information. I will certainly try your indoor tips.

You have quite a collection of prime lens. What are your favorite and most used prime lens?

12-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 1812 Quote
Thanks for the additional information. I will certainly try your indoor tips. You have quite a collection of prime lens. What are your favorite and most used prime lens?
It's a small collection but so far my favorite has been the DA 35 - that focal length is just too good to let pass. Zoom in? Move a little closer... zoom out? Move a little further away. It's like the kit 18-55 at a constant f2.4 with two or three steps in or out.. and about 3x better image quality

you'd certainly forget about "plastic mount" once it's on - it's so light but strong. Very good for street photography too. Zippy AF on both K-x and K-5 IIs. The only caveat is I can't use it with film cameras... no aperture ring.
12-28-2012, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I can vouch for the DA 35 also. It has the image quality of the most expensive of lenses. f/2.4 is plenty fast enough for most applications, like portraits, and the focal length great for the K-5. Although I sold my copy and prefer other primes to it, it is the best value prime available IMO.
01-02-2013, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I purchased a copy of Laura Shoe's DVD "The Fundamentals & Beyond". It is is a workshop on Lightroom 4. I have just begun studying it.
I have her DVD on Lightroom 3, and I find it to be very helpful. Well worth the money.

01-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Thanks for moving the thread.

I did begin in the Full Auto (Green) mode and I am now mostly using the P mode. I have also dabbled in the TAv mode.

The problem that I have with the Pentax Operating Manual is that it assumes that I already know what the difference is between all of the choices (Example: Setting the "Color Space", the choices are sRGB Or AdobeRGB). Should I select Adobe RGB since I will be using Adobe Lightroom 4? I am shooting in RAW+ as I want to have JPEG as well as Raw, at least until I decide to use RAW exclusively once I start using Lightroom 4 in Post Processing.

I just have so many questions about the best initial setup.

I still would like to know if the recommended settings in the Pentax Forum's K-5 Review are applicable to the K-5 IIS?
Green mode disables some of the camera's abilities. For example, you can't shoot RAW, only JPG. I think of it as a good mode for handing your camera off to a novice photographer but not good for learning.

P mode allows changes and all camera features. It's great for learning the camera. Remember that the green button will reset any accidental changes, like "oh, which button did I push now?" So don't worry about getting lost.

If you do shoot RAW and use Lightroom, you can always change the color space to something else when processing. I leave it on sRGB and switch to something else if I need it. If you shoot JPG, the color space is used to make the file so you're stuck with whatever the camera was set to.

I shoot PEF, keep that as an original and allow my software to make a DNG conversion and copy to another location. Lightroom can do this easily. Then I always know I'm working with a copy. The PEF files are archived.

The camera has so many settings of cryptic options that won't make sense at the moment. I like to find the chart in the manual showing all the camera menus and note what I've changed in pencil. I revisit this sometimes when I've learned stuff and see if I can choose something better.
01-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Green mode disables some of the camera's abilities. For example, you can't shoot RAW, only JPG. I think of it as a good mode for handing your camera off to a novice photographer but not good for learning.

P mode allows changes and all camera features. It's great for learning the camera. Remember that the green button will reset any accidental changes, like "oh, which button did I push now?" So don't worry about getting lost.

If you do shoot RAW and use Lightroom, you can always change the color space to something else when processing. I leave it on sRGB and switch to something else if I need it. If you shoot JPG, the color space is used to make the file so you're stuck with whatever the camera was set to.

I shoot PEF, keep that as an original and allow my software to make a DNG conversion and copy to another location. Lightroom can do this easily. Then I always know I'm working with a copy. The PEF files are archived.

The camera has so many settings of cryptic options that won't make sense at the moment. I like to find the chart in the manual showing all the camera menus and note what I've changed in pencil. I revisit this sometimes when I've learned stuff and see if I can choose something better.
Thanks for the suggestions.
01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great idea. I think I'll do the same with my K20D.
11-20-2014, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Hello 1812, I am surprised that no one gave a definite answer to a simple question you asked and when you gave most of your shooting preferences. I know how daunting it can be for a first time DSLR user especially if he has a high tech camera with some very fine lenses.
Congratulations for owning the best camera and lenses in the world. I would recommend add a 10-20 SWA zoom like one of the Sigmas, if shooting in the confines of your home or for family travel especially in the narrow streets of Europe.
I began with a K-20D and moved up to the K-5 IIS when the price fell to $ 377 (minus cost of the Grip + SDXC Card). My preferred lenses are the Pentax DA 18-135 WR, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6. The 18-135 is a good Macro too, which very few people know - here is a photo for you.
Now there are (6) major Chapters to settings on you K-5 IIs. I have them all on a Word 2013 File after I captured the entire Chapter wise Menu System from Imaging Resource com. I then overlaid my own settings of choice from my own resources + the various Photo Forums, Blogs and Individual Photographers comments on the Internet. The Chapters are:-
1) The general button and lever settings on the Body & Lens. Example Metering mode, AF Point - single or ....
Settings operated by the MENU Button:-
2) Record Menu - total of 5 sub chapters.
3) Play Back Menu - one chapter only.
4) Set Up Menu - total 4 chapters.
5) Custom Menu - 4 chapters.
Settings operated by the OK Button and 4-way Controller
6) Fn or Function Menu. Example Bright, Landscape etc + their (5) itirations like Sharpness, Contrast etc.
Note: The other (3) Controllers operate the WB, Flash + the Drive Mode.

Now this data is a huge one. So I suggest you PM me with your email address and I will have the Settings sent to you gratis. I would like you to repose trust in me as I am a retired Advisor, world's largest conglomerate, and visiting my children in California. I am no Pro but a pretty OK photographer.
Regards.
nanhi
camp: San Mateo, CA.

Post Script: I use mostly TAv mode as it gives me the greatest flexibility with the shutter and aperture edials + the EV adjust button. I shoot hi res JPEGs and RAW when in doubt.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I didn't have the K-5 IIs when I said this. Now that I have one, I don't shoot PEF. That's because Lightroom allows me to choose the Embedded camera profile with DNGs, but PEFs force me to use Adobe's profile. I like the Embedded profile better.
11-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian

In addition to what others have mentioned and without knowing what the K5 recommendations are. These are my settings;
Record menu;
AF Settings: I keep it on 11 point with AF expanded checked for use when I want but keep my back button AF select switch on sel
Lens correction: Distortion off /Chromatic AB off
D range: Highlight off /shadow off
ISO Sensitivity: base setting 80-3200 However I change this dependent on my EV light situation and where I want to cap my max ISO for it so it varies
Program Line: Auto However I will change this as needed for shooting type situation
Color space: AdobeRGB Like shooting in the widest gamut then changing in processing.
Live View: Auto Focus Method: contrast Show Grid: multi grid Info Overlay: checked Histogram: checked
Electronic Level Display: checked
5:
Button Customization: Raw/FX: digital preview AF Button: enable AF Shutter Button Half press: off (I use back button AF so don't change these two if not using it)
Memory: all checked except for EV Compensation and Flash Exposure Comp.

Playback Menu;
Quick Zoom X8

C Menu;
1. EV Steps: 1
2. Sensitivity Steps: 2
3. Expanded Sensitivity: 2
7. Auto EV Compensation: 2
8. Auto Bracketing order: 2
9. One-Push Bracketing: 2
18. Change to 2 if you want a remote to focus. leave on 1 if using Back Button AF
21. Change to 2 if using the pop up flash as a Controller with little to no flash exposure from it on the subject.

Changing some of the rest are as needed.
11-20-2014, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter

All good info but since this thread is from 2012 and the OP has not posted here since April of 2013 I doubt they are going to benefit.

Of course someone else might, just wanted to point out we might not get a 'thanks' from the OP though...........
11-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

My question is what are the best initial settings to use. The Pentax Forum's K-5 IIS review doesn't provide any recommended settings. However the Pentax Forums K-5 review does have recommended settings. Are these K-5 recommended settings also suitable for the K-5 IIS?
Yes I am sure they are fine to use. For an active child a faster shutter speed may be needed to avoid motion blur. SInce this is your first DSLR I won't go into confusing specifics, but perhaps it would be a good idea to get a book on exposure such as Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition eBook: Bryan Peterson: Kindle Store