Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Lost Images

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but I guess someone will let me know
I was in Bangkok last week. We visited a temple in the morning one day and I took quite a lot of images. I showed some to my wife and was feeling excited about how they would look on a bigger screen. I didn't think about it until I got home to Singapore and tried to download the images on to my computer. There were no images on the camera!!

I'm (pretty!) certain I didn't delete them myself. I have tried some image recovery software. I was able to recover thumbnails but none of the actual images I took in Bangkok. I should point out that I found lots of other images that have been deleted previously (that I have download).
Anyone have any ideas? I'm suspecting a bad memory card. I guess they deteriorate over time?

Cheers
Tony

BTW, I'm using a K5 and a generic brand SD card.

12-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have probably already tried but a couple of thoughts:
Did you look in any folders on the card or just in the root?
What software do you usually use to download?
You tried image recovery which is what I would have recommended but I find it odd that the thumbnails are still there.
What mode were you shooting in? If RAW, then perhaps your software does not recognize them? The recovery software might see the embedded jpegs in the RAW file and just show them. Check the card with software that will recognize PEF or DNG files.

Might be a bad card, then can go bad but not often. I only use name brand class 10 cards and pay more. Not sure it helps but I feel better.
12-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
[jatrax offers his advice]

Not sure it helps but I feel better.

Maybe it's just me, but that parting line is hilarious.
12-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
You have probably already tried but a couple of thoughts:
Did you look in any folders on the card or just in the root?
What software do you usually use to download?
You tried image recovery which is what I would have recommended but I find it odd that the thumbnails are still there.
What mode were you shooting in? If RAW, then perhaps your software does not recognize them? The recovery software might see the embedded jpegs in the RAW file and just show them. Check the card with software that will recognize PEF or DNG files.

Might be a bad card, then can go bad but not often. I only use name brand class 10 cards and pay more. Not sure it helps but I feel better.
Jatrax,

Thanks for the reply. I did look in all the folders I could see. I should point out that while the thumbnails showed up I couldn't actually see any image. The software I used was MacPhotoRecovery & something else I can't remember. I'm about to try something called DiskDrill. See how it goes, I suppose

12-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tonehall,
I'm no expert but if you are seeing the thumbnails there has to be something there. And I do not think the camera saves the thumbnails as separate files. Did you check to see if you have RAW files there instead of jpegs?
12-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Tonehall,
I'm no expert but if you are seeing the thumbnails there has to be something there. And I do not think the camera saves the thumbnails as separate files. Did you check to see if you have RAW files there instead of jpegs?
Jatrax,
I hear what you're saying and I would expect that you're correct. While I have found the thumbnails, I haven't actually been able to see the actual images. All I see is grey. I haven't been able to see any RAW files. I don't think there is much more I can do. Next plan? Fly back to Bangkok and take the images again

Tony
12-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I lost images once a couple of years ago, I used a new card and forgot to format it. I had thumbnails of every image, but could not see the full images, some you could view half, most not at all. I tried everything to recover them but nothing worked, the files were corrupted and I have not found anything that can fix that. I'm not sure how it works, but I've read that the thumbnail is like a file included within the raw file.

That is the only time I have ever had a problem with a card. I format my card after every download of photos. This keeps the camera from writing fragmented files, which have more opportunity to get corrupted.

12-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hey Tom,

I think you may have a point there. I'm fairly certain that I didn't format that particular card. Making sure I do from now!

Tony
12-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Use photorec, part of testdisk.
12-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Also bring along a.laptop so you can check and import the photos every day
To be honest I have to because I simply don't have enough memory cards. But do try photorec, always gave me the best results when trying to recover something. It is also great foot defective hard drives etc. and recovers everything.