Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alternative ideas for sensor cleaning? (I tried something that's worked before but no

Hey guys,
So, I have cleaned my sensor before... many times actually. Mostly just with the Giotto's Air blower thing, but sometimes I've had stubborn dust and I've used those swab things you can get on eBay. Now I know, there'll be people out there thinking "tut tut", about the cheap sensor swabs you can get on eBay, BUT, I used six of them on various cameras (K-x, K-r, K10D) and every single time, I got immaculate results.
Then I bought a whole bunch of them for like $4.90 a pack of 6 (yes these are the cheap Hong Kong ones) and I bought the same ones, from the same seller. When they turned up, everything was the same except the little individual packets they came in. This worried me juuuust a tiny bit, because I thought maybe the items had changed, but I thought "Probably not." Well, it seems I was wrong. Because the items have changed alright...
Today I tried cleaning my K-5 sensor with one of them, and instead of the fluid that soaks the little swab thing just evaporating off the sensor like normal, it left little droplets all over my sensor... and I tried again, using a different technique, but no. Now my sensor is worse than ever, with marks showing up as early as f5.6, and getting really bad at about f8 - and in total there are about 30 small marks on the sensor, and that's the BEST I could get it.

Now before I ruin my sensor completely, does anyone have a better idea?
I have tried using the swab and then straight away the air blower but it still leaves marks and streaks, and I have tried JUST the air blower, which isn't powerful enough to get off what must be dried on fluid.
So basically, I can get the sensor totally immaculate WHILE I am cleaning it, but as the fluid from the swab dries, it doesn't just evaporate like it should, some of it dries ON the sensor.

Also, does anyone knowhow much CR Kennedy Australia would charge to clean it? Thanks.

12-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had excellent results with Sensor Swab Plus with Eclipse. The fluid you are using is probably causing the problem. I would think you could clear it up with a few tries with a quality swab.
12-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I second Sensor Swabs and Eclipse. Worked wonders for my k-x which had some stubborn spots.
12-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I use the Green Clean system. It is a two stage, wet then dry swab and I have found them excellent. I know there is a Pentax sensor cleaner out there too but haven't used them. I get mine from photovideo.com.au. Price is okay and he is Australian.

As for CR Kennedy, I haven't had them clean a sensor, but we did get a lens repaired and price was very good.

12-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys,
So - this kind of thing:

ECLIPSE CLEANING FLUID & 4 PACK SENSOR SWABS TYPES 1, 2 OR 3 / PHOTOSOL | eBay

?
12-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I've had great results with Sensor Swabs also, and they are easy to use. But that ebay dealer seems high priced. That's nearly twice the price they are at B&H. Not sure about your shipping prices though. Definely buy them from a reputable dealer so you don't get fakes.