Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tackling Lateral Chromatic Aberration

Hi guys, lately I have gotten some great shots that I fear are being ruined by lateral chromatic aberrations. I need help understanding it, and how to rectify the situation!

I have a K-7 and the kit lenses which I got primarily for outdoor photos because they're nice and weather sealed. I've taken many pictures with the18-55 WR and am still trying to figure out the best aperture to shoot with to reduce aberrations.

Is the in-camera removal of any use? Haven't used it much, but my initial impressions are that it doesn't work so well.

Can Lightroom do it? I have lightroom 4 but can't find the 18-55mm WR lens profile in it.

Does HDR always make aberrations more noticeable? I like taking HDR photos, but then it seems to make the purple fringing / weird outlines worse. Any help with this?

Is it just that this is a cheap lens? Other than the lateral chromatic aberrations, I love this lens! It fits the bill perfectly because it is inexpensive so I don't have to worry as bad if it gets destroyed on a hike, and it gets pretty sharp (I think) around F7.

Here is a link to an example of what I thought was a good photo somewhat ruined by fringing / lateral chromatic aberrations!

I haven't posted on PF for a long time, but I appreciate the input from you guys when I need it. Thank you!

12-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Singe large parts of the image are distorted, it may be hard to correct. You should try sharpening it and applying lens correction profiles, but honestly, the only solution is to either use a better lens or get more megapixels (or scale the final product). Sounds like you need the Pentax 15mm or 21mm limited!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Use the chromatic aberration checkbox in LR4, and also the manual fringing controls. Get rid of the fringing in the individual images first (don't HDR in camera) and then do further processing -- your fringing is being made even worse by the processing. (Over-processing, I think, but that's another subject.)
12-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I assume you shoot JPG? I don't think LR does lens correction for JPGs, however, LR4 got a very good manual correction tool that you can use to correct CA, it cleans up CA for my old lens pretty well.

12-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are lots of ways to deal with this issue.

The Pentax photo lab has a lateral CA correction tool. Most photo editors have one. There is also a plug in which should work in Lightroom called PT Lens which can do the same job.

I use PT lens with Corel paint shop pro X5. It works well. These tools rescale the color layers and then realign the layers to also improve edge sharpness.

I have not tried in body correction, which does the same thing, because it slows image writing

How about posting an example
12-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Use the chromatic aberration checkbox in LR4, and also the manual fringing controls. Get rid of the fringing in the individual images first (don't HDR in camera) and then do further processing -- your fringing is being made even worse by the processing. (Over-processing, I think, but that's another subject.)
Wow, I had never seen the Chromatic aberration box in LR4! It helps a lot! Sure it's not as good as a 15mm limited, but checking the box is within my budget right now.
12-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I assume you shoot JPG? I don't think LR does lens correction for JPGs, however, LR4 got a very good manual correction tool that you can use to correct CA, it cleans up CA for my old lens pretty well.
I always shoot RAW for HDR. Also, I had never seen Pentax lenses be an option in Lightroom (the dropdown menu shows everybody but them), but I found if you just check the box "Enable Profile Corrections" then click "Custom" it brings up the lens automatically. This is going to change my world.