Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #1

Build quality

Is Pentax build quality generally good

12-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
It would depend upon which camera.

There's also the lens; which very greatly in build quality and cost, but then again one usually gets what they pay for - with the exception of items such as something that I would never suggest for anyone to purchase - the Pentax 16-50. The reliability of that lens being so bad it should be the lowest price lens. To purchase one is to basically gamble with that sum of money.

But opposite of the P 16-50 most of the FA lens are the best quality ones
12-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, generally.
12-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #4

At most price points I would suggest that Pentax has generally as good or better build quality as the other equipment manufacturers. In recent years it has improved a lot. But be aware that the 18-50 DAL will not be of the quality of a Limited series lens. As in all things you get what you pay for.
That said, I have used Pentax equipment for since my teens and have never had a failure of a lens or a camera.

12-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having owned Nikon, Canon & Pentax, build quality of the Pentax vs equivalent Canon there is no comparison...Canon is crappy. Nikon is roughly equivalent, although the weather sealing on Pentax is probably more robust...particularly when it comes to WR lenses.
12-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Like most manufacturers Pentax has a range of offerings from top of the line to a few that were well, less expensive.

In cameras they have generally been quite good, at least in the SLR and DSLR areas. Some of their point & shoots did not have good reviews and the quality seemed suspect, both digital and film. In modern DSLR's though (k-7, k-x, k-r & k-5) which I have had a chance to handle and compare they are noticeably better than the competition in that price range.

In lenses, the limited line is top notch as well as anything with * in the name. If you look at the lens reviews there have been a few duds when they tried to make something to match a price point but fortunately those have been few and far between. Even with the modern kit lenses the build quality is better than the competition in the same price range.

That is not to say they are blemish free and you can get a full list of issues by checking this forum. Including buttons falling off, mirrors flopping and SDM lenses failing. But if you go to the Canon or Nikon forums you will get a different but similar list of issues and complaints.

Overall I would say I am very pleased with the build quality on my k-5 and limited lenses as well as the da*16-50, the DFA 100mm and my F primes. I have handled Canon cameras and they really feel cheaply made at least the ones I have had a chance to use.
12-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure "build quality" has never been defined, nor can it really because it is subjective. Many people complain that plastic feels "plasticky", and equate that to build quality. However, there is a lot more to a lens or body than the outside.

I generally disregard opinions about it, unless it is total crap that just falls apart.
01-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm pretty sure "build quality" has never been defined, nor can it really because it is subjective. Many people complain that plastic feels "plasticky", and equate that to build quality. However, there is a lot more to a lens or body than the outside.

I generally disregard opinions about it, unless it is total crap that just falls apart.
To me build quality can be defined my how the item is assembled. The fit of one part to the next, and the quality of the materials and parts used.I actually do think it can be defined. I would say that a Rolls Royce car has better build quality than a Lada.

01-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Back in the mid 1960s studying engineering, they used the example that the then-current VW aircooled Beetle was about the highest quality car you could buy. That was because everything fit perfectly and worked as it was supposed to, with very high consistency on each car. They were stressing that "quality" was not a matter of features, but of how well each one produced met its design criteria. VW tried to be sure each car produced did what it was intended to do. (At least they tried to build that image.)
01-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
I had a VW Beetle, and spent many many hours working on it. In fact without sounding too big headed I knew that car very personally, and yes its quality at that time was high, but compared to a Rolls Royce at the same time, the Rolls would win hands down for quality of engineering and workmanship. There is no doubt in my mind that build quality does exsit, and too a degree you do get what you pay for. I am not quite understanding your point though.
01-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JEREMYHN100 Quote
To me build quality can be defined my how the item is assembled. The fit of one part to the next, and the quality of the materials and parts used.I actually do think it can be defined. I would say that a Rolls Royce car has better build quality than a Lada.
Yes, but to the average untrained consumer, they have no way to tell other than plastic vs metal, resistance of the focus/zoom ring, and if the barrel wobbles :-(
01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #12

Original Poster
I not so sure that is a fair statement to make. Most people out there have the ability to determine if only by feel, that an item feels well made or is of poor quality. Its so easy, pick up a Fuji 4200 bridge camera and then a Pentax X5 the difference is not something you need to be Stephen Hawkins to feel.
01-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JEREMYHN100 Quote
I not so sure that is a fair statement to make. Most people out there have the ability to determine if only by feel, that an item feels well made or is of poor quality. Its so easy, pick up a Fuji 4200 bridge camera and then a Pentax X5 the difference is not something you need to be Stephen Hawkins to feel.
The F and FA series lenses that I have taken apart are unimpressive plastic shells on the outside, with a lot of metal on the inside. The Pentax DA* 16-50/2.8 feels like a quality lens but has a lot of reported failures. I have a Takumar-A 70-200/4 that has such a loose focus/zoom ring, some users think it's broken. It's been the same for 25 years, and I carried it everywhere for a long time, so I know it won't fall apart. Optically it's not great. So I lean towards apparent build quality being misleading.
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
I dont think it is possible to have apparent good or bad build quality. I do feel that there are items where the manufacturer has gone out of their way to produce to well designed well constructed items. It is also possible to have a poor quality item that just works well but is poorly made. I cant understand why its so hard to distinguish when an item is WELL MADE.