Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #1

K-5 and Lightroom

Hi, I recently purchased a K-5 and Lightroom 4. In the little bit that that I've used lightroom I've found (as others have reported here) that the Adobe Standard Camera Profile results in colors that are somewhat dull compared to the K-5/Silkypix processing and that the "imbedded" profile available with DNG files seems to come closer to the K-5 processing. So a few questions:
- Are there any drawbacks using the DNG format vs PEF?
- Since the DNG is an unprocessed file, what's in this imbedded profile Lightroom pulls from the DNG? Does the camera add processing hints to the DNG?
- Finally, Does it make sense to use the lens and shadow correction in the camera or is it best left to lightroom?
Thanks,
Tim

12-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timfrommn Quote
Hi, I recently purchased a K-5 and Lightroom 4. In the little bit that that I've used lightroom I've found (as others have reported here) that the Adobe Standard Camera Profile results in colors that are somewhat dull compared to the K-5/Silkypix processing and that the "imbedded" profile available with DNG files seems to come closer to the K-5 processing. So a few questions:
- Are there any drawbacks using the DNG format vs PEF?
- Since the DNG is an unprocessed file, what's in this imbedded profile Lightroom pulls from the DNG? Does the camera add processing hints to the DNG?
- Finally, Does it make sense to use the lens and shadow correction in the camera or is it best left to lightroom?
Thanks,
Tim
There is no practical difference between DNG and PEF other than filesize, but you still can't expect the raw processor's auto mode to make perfect adjustments every time. You will have to step in and adjust things manually more often than not.

In-camera shadow/highlight correction will yield a different result since it cranks up the ISO, but I personally stick to just the raw file and make sure the exposure is kosher to begin with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: