Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
shoot through vs bounce umbrella?

I received as a gift an umbrella... It has an inner white umbrella with an outer black umbrella you can remove. At first I was under the impression that if I removed the black umbrella, it would become a 'shoot through' umbrella... But I think I'm wrong and a 'through umbrella' is entirely separate... Can someone clear this up for me?

If the first case, with the umbrella with the removable black cover, what is the point of the removable part?

Anyone caring to shed some light on these different options would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

12-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
shoot through means you shoot light through it, bounce means you bounce light off it. The black cover is there so when you want to bounce rather than shoot through, you don't lose light due to light shooting through
12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Bouncing would give you more defined lighting vs diffused lighting of shooting through the umbrella. You can still bounce the light without the black cover on but much of the light will be lost through the umbrella, but in a multiple umbrella setup you might just get the ideal lighting condition by doing so. There are also gold or silver umbrellas which would give you more sharper, defined lighting with tonal differences between the gold (warm) and silver (cold).
12-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So to be clear, if I take off the black cover, it's essentially a shoot through umbrella... There is no difference between that and the one that doesn't have a removable black cover.... Is that right??

12-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it's designed to be able to be used as both types. I've seen little practical advantage to the use of one over the other.
12-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
shoot through means you shoot light through it, bounce means you bounce light off it. The black cover is there so when you want to bounce rather than shoot through, you don't lose light due to light shooting through
Actually, you will still lose as much light, it just won't spill all over the studio.