Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New to Pentax. Need lens help.

Just picked up a K-30 with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses. I am coming from an Olympus E-30 so the lens compatibility thing is all new. There seem to be a WHOLE lot more designations in the Pentax world. Which lenses will work with my new K-30? I don't care about legacy lenses right now. That will come later. I know about the adapter-lens thing. I'm interested in lens designations that will give me full autofocus function.

Thanks in advance.

12-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell, all Pentax lenses (other than Q or 645) will work with your K-30 without an adapter. DA, DA L, D FA, FA, FA J, and F lenses will have full autofocus functionality. A series will have full functionality but are manual focus. M and K lenses are fully manual and require green button metering.

The 645 lenses will work with an adapter. Pre-1975 Takumar lenses (screw mount) will also work with an adapter.
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

Before you buy anything, spend some time with what you got. This will let you learn which lenses you might be interested in buying.

The DA and FA lenses will give you full automation for your camera. The suggested link above is a really good read.

If I own something you want to try and it is worth the drive, PM me.
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
Just picked up a K-30 with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses. I am coming from an Olympus E-30 so the lens compatibility thing is all new. There seem to be a WHOLE lot more designations in the Pentax world. Which lenses will work with my new K-30? I don't care about legacy lenses right now. That will come later. I know about the adapter-lens thing. I'm interested in lens designations that will give me full autofocus function.

Thanks in advance.
For full AF you'll want DA, D FA, FA, or F lenses. Lenses with "SDM" or "DC" in their names have silent AF.

The subtle differences between these lenses are outlined above. The current lens series is the DA lineup, so that's most likely what you'll be buying. A full listing of these lenses is found here; we also have numerous in-depth reviews on our homepage.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome!
Also, check out the lens reviews database on this forum. It explains a lot about the lenses and even has sample photos. (Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) The lens series F, FA, DFA and DA will all have working AF on your camera. If you are only interested in new lenses, they will all work on your camera (that's the DA seires). The only Pentax lenses that aren't K-mount are Q lenses (very tiny, small diameter, made for the Pentax Q.) and 645 lenses (medium format, huge, rare, expensive). If you see these lenses, you will know that they don't fit on your camera. Pentax is pretty good in terms of lens compatibility.
If you want more info.. the Pentax mount is called the K-mount, also PK. If a lens has a * (star) in the name, it means it is of higher quality and stuff. If it has WR it means it is weather resistant (if you want to use your WR camera in bad weather, you must also have a WR lens on it), limited (or lmt) also means a special line of lenses (high quality). There are also DA L lenses, which are cheap kit lenses (you can only get these in a bundle), though they are better than some other brand's kit lenses. All of these will work on your camera and all have AF. Those markings just designate little differences between them.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-31-2012 at 04:57 PM.
12-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Cool! Many thanks to all of you! @ Colbyt: Very generous of you! I just may take you up on it.
12-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #7

There are also third party lens,mainly Sigma and Tamron that will work full auto
01-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

I'm also new to Pentax and still watching some lenses to buy.. this tread is useful to me.. thanks!