Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Now to fire an external flash

Dear Forum,

firstly let me say hello in my first post here! I've been devoted to Pentax for several years. I used to shoot only landscapes but recently I bought my first flash - Metz 58. And here the problem starts. I want to fire it off-camera, but I use K-5 with my old manual lenses (k-mount with no 'A' option on an aperture ring). This is why "wireless flash" setting is inactive in my K-5 (according to the users manual).

Could someone summarize what are my options to use Metz 58 off-camera? It would be great to have P-TTL still working. Of course I may buy lenses with K-A mount, but maybe there is a cheaper option?

Best regards,
K5 user

01-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with that flash, but if it has has a PC connector you can attach a PC Sync cord and fire off camera that way. If it doesn't have a PC connector you can buy an adapter to attach to the flash. To fire off camera without cords, you will either need an optical slave (if the Metz doesn't have one built in) and fire with the onboard flash, or you can get a set of radio triggers. Radio triggers range in price from cheap to overpriced, and there are a lot of choices. I personally use Alienbees Cybersync triggers.
01-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You won't have P-TTL with M lenses anyway, but the Metz 58 has an auto mode that uses a light sensor in the flash, which will work fine no matter how you trigger it.

I use RF triggers, they give you the most freedom for light placement, but there are none that support P-TTL with Pentax at the moment. To keep P-TTL you need a P-TTL cord.
01-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
you can also use Aokatec wireless flash pttl trigger.

it works fine on Pentax and is the only one available I am aware of