Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #1

K-30 File Transfer

i like to shoot with several different white balance options and when i transfer to my computer all of my Black & White settings and such are gone. is there a way to transfer the "original" photo to the computer?
thanks
M

01-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MatthewCe Quote
i like to shoot with several different white balance options and when i transfer to my computer all of my Black & White settings and such are gone. is there a way to transfer the "original" photo to the computer?
thanks
M
There is no such thing as a B&W raw file. Only the JPEG will reflect your custom image settings. You can make further adjustments in the Pentax digital camera utility software or in photoshop, lightroom, etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can make further adjustments in the Pentax digital camera utility software or in photoshop, lightroom, etc.
The Pentax Digital Camera Utility will also very closely match the camera's settings when you use it on your RAW files, so you can replicate the camera settings you like with it.
01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
That is exactly what I needed. thank you very much.
M

01-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MatthewCe Quote
That is exactly what I needed. thank you very much.
M
Good, I'm glad. I think a fair number of Pentaxians know this, but they don't talk about it much.
01-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #6

Does this work with any version of Silkypix, or just the ancient back-level version that is shipped with the camera?

The disc with the camera comes with version 3, but Silkypix is actually up to version 5 or something. I wonder if Pentax is still using a prehistoric version of the software, while just keeping its internal database of camera and lens data updated.
01-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWuestefeld Quote
Does this work with any version of Silkypix, or just the ancient back-level version that is shipped with the camera?

The disc with the camera comes with version 3, but Silkypix is actually up to version 5 or something. I wonder if Pentax is still using a prehistoric version of the software, while just keeping its internal database of camera and lens data updated.
I don't know about Silkypix as a separate product, but I'm using the latest version of the Pentax DCU (v4.40) because I happen to have the latest camera.

01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'm using the latest version of the Pentax DCU (v4.40) because I happen to have the latest camera.
Hmmm. I installed the software that came with my K-30, and it's Silkypix v3. How did you wind up with something newer? Or are we talking about two different things?

EDIT: I just found the answer to my own question. The DCU software is for K-5II (amongst others), while Silkypix is for K-30, K-01, and others. Apparently Pentax has two lines of software, each intended for use with different cameras.

Last edited by CWuestefeld; 01-05-2013 at 08:44 PM.
01-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWuestefeld Quote
EDIT: I just found the answer to my own question. The DCU software is for K-5II (amongst others), while Silkypix is for K-30, K-01, and others. Apparently Pentax has two lines of software, each intended for use with different cameras.
Interesting! I didn't even know this, since I went from K-x to K-5 to K-5 IIs, and I've only used PDCU (if Silkypix ever came with my K-x then I probably just ignored it).