Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #1

K-7 battery problem

Hi forum members! I am new and would like to share my problem and hopefully get it resolved. I bought a barely used (3000 shots) K-7. The camera will not hold a full battery charge -Without Use- for no more than 3 days. I have an extra battery and it does the same with that one also. Camera works fine but battery drains too quickly. Any suggestions?

01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
If you put a fully charged battery on the shelf for a few days to a week, and then put it in the camera, is it still fully charged, or has it already noticeably discharged? This will help determine if it is the camera or the battery. If the batteries are self-discharging outside the camera, they are worn out. LiOn batteries can only be recharged so many times and typically need to be replaced every 18-36 months depending on the usage patterns.

If they are only discharging while sitting in a camera that is turned off, odds are you have a short somewhere in the camera. And it isn't doing your batteries any favors either by deeply discharging them.
01-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Jim and I'll try your idea.