Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Upgrading from a K1000

I am new to the forum, but am looking for advice on upgrading to a digital SLR. I got into photography back in high school when I got my 35mm Pentax K1000 and it served me well for many, many years and was a great, simple and durable camera. I have always considered myself an amateur photographer at best and haven't pursued going to a digital SLR (just point and shoots), but I'd like to get back into it and get a good starter camera. I only have a couple of lenses (and can't even remember specifics right now) -- a wide angle and zoom lens I believe. I want to be able to continue to use those lenses. I am looking at all the Pentax models and am not sure what direction to go. I am not wanting to spend a lot of money initially and am thinking of a few cameras that might be a good choice, but would like some advice:
  • I originally became excoted whent he K-x model came out a few years ago. Would have loved to have gotten one in orange! I would consider a used model if it were a good price and in good shape.
  • Then the K-r seemed to be a nice improvement though and would also consider a used model as well.
  • I am intrigued by the new K-01 for looks and simplicity, and from the reviews it sounds like it takes some great photos. Not to mention the price is very appealing.
  • Should I consider any other models as a nice starter camera that is in the same price range as the K-01?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

01-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You cannot beat the price of the K-01 and it can use the lenses you have from the K1000.

The major issue I have with the K-01 is the lack of a view finder. I don't like the shooting with the arms stretched out method, and where I live the light is way too bright to see the screen clearly enough for composing images.

If you want a vewfinder the price goes up by about 2x. For that you could get either a K-30 or the recently discountinued K-5 which is still available from Adorama .
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Given the current fire-sale price on the K-01, that is the best bang for the buck by far right now, if you are willing to accept the tradeoffs that come with this type of mirrorless camera vs. an SLR. Have a look at this review by our fellow forum member: What Blog is This?: The Slowest Thing about the Pentax K-01

You'll be able to use the lenses you used on the K1000, but if they are older than the A-series (prior to the mid-1980s) there are limitations as to metering and shooting modes. In short you are pretty much limited to manual mode and stop-down metering. But the old lenses are perfectly usable, as many here (myself included) can attest.

Welcome to the forums!
01-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Remember that on the K-01 you can always have an optical finder to help with the composition.

01-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
It depends on what are you used to. If you are OK with composing through display only, the K-01 may be option. But if you used the K1000 for so many years, the optical viewfinder might be the way to go:-) I tried my friend's K-r and it is a fine camera.
01-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I bought a used K-r in the marketplace here for about the same as a new K-01. It's not just getting used to the lack of a viewfinder, the camera is more stable at your eye, so you can handhold at lower shutter speeds. I don't think the K-r gives up a lot in image quality or features to the K-01. You can also find the K-r with a DA-L 18-55, which a new user will find handy as a wide angle lens. Other options to get wide angle on APS-C are costly.
01-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

I'd say buy a used k5. They are so cheap now I want to cry (I paid top $ for mine, but never regretted it)! Money value on the k5 today is far far below what it's worth in terms of use. It is truly a fantastic camera that will fill all your needs. And I don't think you can get more bang for your bucks with any other camera from any brand.