Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

losing photos after updating camera

i updated my k7 firmware about a month ago, but now after i take pictures and then try to edit them in photoshop my picture just shows up as a black screen. my files also show a black picture after i change the file. i don't know what to try since i am now afraid i might mess things up.

01-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do the photos look OK on the camera review screen?

Have you tried a different memory card?

Have you formatted the memory card?

Are you shooting jpeg or RAW?

Have you tried to view the files in another program before editing them?
01-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
they look fine on the camera screen. i shoot in raw. the program on the computer i have on the computer is the pentax one that came with the camera, i don't have any other kind of program to view them while in raw. i haven't tried to reformat another card yet.
01-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

is RAW DNG or PEF?

So I assume you are processing in Pentax software then exporting to Photoshop? What format do you export to Photoshop in?

Do they look OK in the Pentax software?

Try taking some in jpeg and check to see if they look OK in a photo viewer.

01-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... has a free viewer/editor that works with PEF files. I use it on my netbook while traveling. It has some fans on the forum, and frequently gets recommended.

Just to be clear, you are using PDCU in thumbnail view, and when opening a folder of raw files you only get black rectangles for all the images? Or are you opening them in Photoshop? You have 2 programs, not just one, and they both work with raw files.
01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dmillhol Quote
i updated my k7 firmware about a month ago, but now after i take pictures and then try to edit them in photoshop my picture just shows up as a black screen. my files also show a black picture after i change the file. i don't know what to try since i am now afraid i might mess things up.
Try updating the desktop software also and see if that helps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

FastPictureViewer Professional | Download Page is what I use on Windows, and Preview will display PEF files on OS X.