Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #1

External Flash K30 malfunction

I will try to keep this short. Bought a Bell&Howell Z480AF series flash. This flash is awesome and works perfectly with my K20, However: when trying to use it with my K30 the flash works but continues to flash like a strobe light until I turn it off.. I have tried the Manual mode, TV modes and read the instructions with NO results. According to my flash information it is compatible with the K30 On page 240 of the K30 instructions it states to set the external flash mode to P-TTL not sure what that setting is specifically. The flash documentation does list this flash as a Pentax Digital P-TTL.. Let me guess, external flashes do not work with the K30, ha, ha.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Theo

01-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a third party flash that works fine with my K200D, but will not work in P-TTL mode with my K-R. I emailed the mfg of the flash asking about this and was told that Pentax has changed the electronic signals that the camera uses to communicate with the flash, starting with the K-X and that the flash will not work with newer models. Some of the lesser flash makers don't show this in their spec sheets. Some flashes can be updated, like the Metz, and Sigma, I believe. You can search the net and see if you can find an update for your flash, but I will be very surprised if you find an update for Bell & Howell.
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you GP I appreciate the information. Go figure! I guess I will use my K20 with the flash and will search the net for a update, but like you said I two would be surprised to find one for this flash.