Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
My K20D doesn't won't focus

Hey everyone,

I need to ask a little advice of the crowd. I have a K20D that I haven't shot much with over the past 6 months. Last night when I put either of my auto-focus lenses on the camera, it wouldn't consistently focus. About every third time I remounted the lens to the camera, auto-focus would work. The rest of the time I would just hear "whirr-whirr, whirr-whirr" and it would look through the viewfinder as if lens was changing its focal distance by about an inch. It certainly sounded like the camera was making an attempt of it, but it couldn't change the focal distance. I've not had this problem before.

I'm attaching a couple pictures I took of the lens mount, specifically focusing on the AF drive pin. Does it look OK to you guys, or does something look out of whack? Any thoughts?

Thank you,

01-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Shoot. The title of this thread is what happens when you start one sentence and finish another....

Should say "My K20D won't focus"
01-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What lenses do you have? The ones with SDM focusing motor are notorious for spontaneous breakdowns. Although it would be strange for them both to break at the same time. Anybody near you with a Pentax camera or lenses to see which is broken?

EDIT: OK, your signature shows it's about FA lenses wth screw AF. So forget about my theory.

Last edited by Raffwal; 01-05-2013 at 02:06 PM.
01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had/have one lens (dunno which) that didn't always line up with the screwdrive, I think it was bacause it got stuck. Take the lens of and turn the screw manually and see if works better after a few workouts.

01-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Maybe this was due to my own error. Seems as long as I avoid depressing the lens release button while mounting the lens to the body, the auto focus still works. Maybe if that button gets depressed while turning the lens, the screw heads don't line up?

On the plus side, I got a nice macro shot of the AF drive pin...

Last edited by Slowpoke Rodriguez; 01-06-2013 at 07:37 PM.
01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very funny, but yes, if the lens AF drive shaft is not perfectly in line with the female socket of the lens, it will fail to latch and drive the lens's focus ring. Make it a habit to just mount the lens without depressing the lens release button. You should always hear a satisfying click once you've mounted the lens properly.