Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

New K5 user

Just got my K 5 with the 18-55 wr, soon to get the 55-300 tele. Is the tele weather resist?
Getting into the digi world after some semi-pro work a long tim ago in the print/ slide world. Since I will not be taking more than 15-50- pics at a time before downloading to pc for any photo shop work, cannot envision using anything other than the RAW format. Since storage in K5 wont be an issue am I on target here? Suspect DNG over pef preferable due to wider use, is there any real advantage to either? Thanks, Barry Hall

01-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! No, the 55-300 does not have weather sealing, unfortunately.

Here's a thread on dng vs pef: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/146235-dng-vs-pentax-raw-format.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome.
01-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

PEF works better in Capture One Pro, but that may not be true of other post processing software. Even though many people like DNG, the advantage of PEF is it's unambiguous - that is, any software that can read a PEF knows it's coming from a Pentax camera, and can determine the exact model and settings that were used. This information may also be in the DNG file, but the software won't necessarily try to extract it and use it. In the case of Capture One, it allows C1 to apply its excellent camera profiles when it brings the image in, so your starting point is very good before you even make any changes.

DNG has gained traction largely through FUD. I'm not saying PEF is inherently better (although it isn't worse either), but in the real world it works better for me, and everybody supports it. When I first got my K-5 two years ago, I did my first shoot in JPG+DNG because K-5 PEFs weren't supported by anyone for the first month or two. I've regretted it ever since. The colors on the DNGs are way off, and it takes a bit of effort to even get them as good as the JPGs start out. As you might imagine, I never did much post processing on that set!

Last edited by DSims; 01-05-2013 at 03:46 PM.
01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
Based on latest comment appears that if there are no software support preferences pef is a logical choice given your note of inferior color rendition for DNG. However I have not noticed this with other posts. How confident are you of your color analysis?