Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Why won't my videos transfer!?!?!?!

Okay, So I finally broke down and got the new K30! Only to find, to my dismay, that when I tried to load the videos from the camera to the computer it wouldn't work. Each time I tried and every way you can imagine (through Iphoto, I movie, quick time, drag and drop files, import through folder, and so on) the camera would eject itself. Now an error message pops up saying the camera wasn't eject properly. It keeps freezing up my programs and the computer says that the file in not readable...or writable.

Super disappointed. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix this :0(

Thanks
Kelly

01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe the problem is the SD card, or the file is too large. I think its best to use a modern fast card reader (one that supports all the fancy new SD card types and speeds) instead of plugging the camera in.
01-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Maybe the problem is the SD card, or the file is too large. I think its best to use a modern fast card reader (one that supports all the fancy new SD card types and speeds) instead of plugging the camera in.
Okay. I will buy a new SD card today. The files are very small video clips tho' some under a minute. Even 12 second files won't transfer. I am REALLY hoping that this is the problem, but it seems to be more of a compatibility issue between the camera and the computer software :0(
01-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aghostwriter Quote
but it seems to be more of a compatibility issue between the camera and the computer software :0(
It could be, that is why I would try taking the memory card out of the camera and plugging it into a card reader and then using explorer to copy/paste the files. I already always do this because I think its faster than hooking it up. Good luck

01-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #5

As a mac user also, some macs are more sensitive to the sd card casings than others. Any gentle movement of the card in it's built-in slot, the OSX will think you have ejected the card forcibly and your will receive the generic error dismount notice. A good quality card reader makes a huge difference to the fit insertion/removal of sd cards. If the card reader lights up on card insertion then all the better. The issue is that the size tolerances are so minute that one card batch can be different from another in the same make/model. CF cards did not have such issues due to their larger sizes and grooved insertion tracks that SD cards do not have.
01-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
So I purchased a fancy SD card (and not a cheap one!) And that didn't work :0( BUT when i plugged the camera into the old Macbook (the white one) the pictures and HD video loaded with no problems! So i'm not sure is I need some type of program on the MacBook Pro or what. It's driving me insane!
01-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yep. Well, at least you got something. You might want to ask on some mac forums? Or buy card reader sorry to keep repeating myself
01-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If this problem was with both stills and video, I'd believe the issue is with the card reader. However, if the issue is only with video playback, it means the OP's Mac doesn't have the correct CODEC (video decoder) installed on his/her computer.

01-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #9

Bang on Jim!
VLC Player for Mac and Perian (discontinued but working 10.8) are excellent codecs/players for mac users.