Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

SMC Takumar 1:1.4/50 PROBLEM: Help :(

okay so, I've had this lens before. And I was sure you could switch the manual/auto button with the Spotmatic F. But I can't on this one. And it's doing something to the light meter in the F. When The lens isn't attached the light meter switch works fine and turns off in the down position, but when the SMC is attached the light meter doesnt turn off, in the ON position the readings are a stop or two higher than when it's in the OFF position. I guess this is stop-down metering or something. But the lens is stuck in Auto and can't budge. was wondering if it's brocken or I can fix it or whatever.
Thanks.

01-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by susfu Quote
okay so, I've had this lens before. And I was sure you could switch the manual/auto button with the Spotmatic F. But I can't on this one. And it's doing something to the light meter in the F. When The lens isn't attached the light meter switch works fine and turns off in the down position, but when the SMC is attached the light meter doesnt turn off, in the ON position the readings are a stop or two higher than when it's in the OFF position. I guess this is stop-down metering or something. But the lens is stuck in Auto and can't budge. was wondering if it's brocken or I can fix it or whatever.
Thanks.
There is a tiny pin that must be depressed for the auto/man switch to work. You can see it on the mount. When the lens is mounted on the camera or if the right kind of rear cap is on it when it is not, the switch should work. Can't help with the light meter...
01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This lens/camera combo is meant to meter with the lens wide open. The pin vonBaloney mentions prevents the A/M switch to move from the A setting for that reason since the M setting would result in a false metering when the lens is stopped down.
01-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
This lens/camera combo is meant to meter with the lens wide open. The pin vonBaloney mentions prevents the A/M switch to move from the A setting for that reason since the M setting would result in a false metering when the lens is stopped down.
Thanks alot!

01-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
If I used a different Takumar lens with my SPotmatic F, would it work normally then?
01-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses without the pin would work like on a Spotmatic (no F), i.e. with stop-down metering. Lenses with a pin are metered when wide open.

Takumars with SMC in the name have the pin, almost all other Takumars (like Super Takumar or Super Multi Coated Takumar) do not have the pin, but there are exceptions.
01-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by susfu Quote
If I used a different Takumar lens with my SPotmatic F, would it work normally then?
Your SMC Takumar ***IS*** working normally.

If you mean, would a non-SMC Takumar lens (such as an earlier Super-Takumar) allow the A-M switch to be set to M, when used on your Spotmatic F, the answer is yes. The Super Takumars lack the tiny pin that was mentioned earlier.

The downside is that the Super Takumar lenses can only meter in stop-down mode.

BTW, the meter on a Spotmatic F is ALWAYS ON. The use of a lens or body cap is essential when the camera is not in use. Without a cap, the battery will probably be drained the next time you wish to use the camera.

The difference between a Spotmatic, with a Super-Takumar lens, and a Spotmatic-F, with an SMC Takumar lens, is that the F can meter the scene with the lens wide open, while the Spotmatic must stop the lens down to the working aperture to correctly meter the scene. The switch on the side of the lens mount on a Spot-F only stops the lens down. If you are using an SMC lens, it is for depth of field preview. If you are using a Super-Tak, it is for stop-down metering.