Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Battery grip battery not showing up

Hello

Just checking. WHen you have the D-BG4 battery grip on your k-5 or K-5iis does it show a charged battery in the "select battery" screen? My knock off grip works but the batter in the grip always shows empty (not there). Just wondering if this is because it uses the body battery first and then moves onto the grip. Once it switches will it finally show battery life for the grip battery. In my mind it should show battery life in both slots all the time. Right?

01-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kees-Jan Quote
Hello

Just checking. WHen you have the D-BG4 battery grip on your k-5 or K-5iis does it show a charged battery in the "select battery" screen? My knock off grip works but the batter in the grip always shows empty (not there). Just wondering if this is because it uses the body battery first and then moves onto the grip. Once it switches will it finally show battery life for the grip battery. In my mind it should show battery life in both slots all the time. Right?
Turn the battery around so that it's facing the right way

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my mind it should show battery life in both slots all the time. Right?
Nope, it only shows one battery's life at a time which is a bummer when I found out.
01-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's unfortunate. If you're battery is in right and is full, I don't understand why the camera won't recognise the grip battery. The genuine grip shows battery life in both batteries simultaneously.

01-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Nope, it only shows one battery's life at a time which is a bummer when I found out.
Thanks so much. I almost bought another grip thinking it had a problem. I agree. It is a bummer. You just saved my $. I wish I can buy you a beer.
01-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That's unfortunate. If you're battery is in right and is full, I don't understand why the camera won't recognise the grip battery. The genuine grip shows battery life in both batteries simultaneously.
Thanks so much. I almost bought another grip thinking it had a problem. I agree. It is a bummer. You just saved my $. I wish I can buy you a beer.
Actually I am a bit confused myself now lol. I have the genuine D-BG4 but haven't actually had two batteries to show the status of the camera's ability to measure whether it reflects both the grip and body battery at the same time or only one at a time. So I made a thread to ask that and someone said it only reflects the battery in use. Now Ash is saying that it reflects both batteries simultaneously. So when I said it was a bummer, I was saying that it's a bummer to the genuine of which I thought the replicate grip does the same thing. However now with further research with this thread, I am concluded that the genuine does reflect both at the same time while the replicate reflects one at a time. I am getting another battery shipped in tomorrow, so that will tell me for real on whether the genuine D-BG4 does actually show battery power simultaneously on the grip and the body.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The indicator on the upper and back screens reflect the status of the currently in use battery as selected in the menu as described above.
Source to the thread I was talking about and to the quote above. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/211055-d-...y-reading.html
01-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Actually I am a bit confused myself now lol. I have the genuine D-BG4 but haven't actually had two batteries to show the status of the camera's ability to measure whether it reflects both the grip and body battery at the same time or only one at a time. So I made a thread to ask that and someone said it only reflects the battery in use. Now Ash is saying that it reflects both batteries simultaneously. So when I said it was a bummer, I was saying that it's a bummer to the genuine of which I thought the replicate grip does the same thing. However now with further research with this thread, I am concluded that the genuine does reflect both at the same time while the replicate reflects one at a time. I am getting another battery shipped in tomorrow, so that will tell me for real on whether the genuine D-BG4 does actually show battery power simultaneously on the grip and the body.

Source to the thread I was talking about and to the quote above. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/211055-d-...y-reading.html
There are two different places to look for the status of the battery(ies). The top and back LCDs show the currently in use battery only. The menu indicator in the select the battery portion of the menu screens shows both batteries.

01-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There are two different places to look for the status of the battery(ies). The top and back LCDs show the currently in use battery only. The menu indicator in the select the battery portion of the menu screens shows both batteries.
Aaaah! took awhile for me to figure that out. I see it now! Thanks. Wish there was a way to show both batteries on the top and back LCD without having to go through the menu. What a bummer.
01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Aaaah! took awhile for me to figure that out. I see it now! Thanks. Wish there was a way to show both batteries on the top and back LCD without having to go through the menu. What a bummer.
You and Me both. I routinely go in to see how they are both doing when I get a break and have been at it a while. Power management with both is very good in my experience with the only glitch the known LV issue that resolves once you switch back to normal operation.
01-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #10

Original Poster

Thanks

Please respond with your findings. The battery is installed correctly and the battery life screen does not show the grip battery (in my case). It's a knock off grip. I try setting the function to grip first and it always resorts back to auto. Brand new K-5iis. Old grip from my K-7. My local store does not have a grip to try separately. Please let me know if both batteries show up on your aftermarket and genuine grips (in the select battery screen). Aside from that the grip works and the battery life has stayed full for +100 shots.

Thanks again
01-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #11

Thanks

Please respond with your findings. The battery is installed correctly and the battery life screen does not show the grip battery (in my case). It's a knock off grip. I try setting the function to grip first and it always resorts back to auto. Brand new K-5iis. Old grip from my K-7. My local store does not have a grip to try separately. Please let me know if both batteries show up on your aftermarket and genuine grips (in the select battery screen). Aside from that the grip works and the battery life has stayed full for +100 shots.

Thanks again
I've both genuine and 3rd party battery grip for my K5.
My K5 will show both body and grip battery in the menu screen, irregardless of grip used.

So OP seems to have a faulty battery grip.
01-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Remove the battery from the camera and try and power up the camera by using only the battery from the grip (make sure battery is charged and that is facing the right way ).
I would also check and see if there is dirt on the contact pins and clean them from dust.
Also, in the menu check and see if the option for battery is at least on "Auto".

If camera does not power up, then most probably your grip is defective ... return and replace .
05-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
Inactive Account

this might be 4 years to late with reply, but looked this up because was having same problems, I tried using just the grip, and sadly it would not work, so thought it was faulty, but then I swapped the batteries and wallah!! both show up, both work.... who knows!!