Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Camera bodies yes, lenses much less so.
It's accepted that lenses aren't considered depreciable items like electronic gear that quickly becomes obsolete (like cameras), simply because lens elements don't depreciate like mechanical parts or electronic circuit boards (let alone the technology being superceded).

So as we have seen, lens prices generally appreciate, even used ones.

01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
So as we have seen, lens prices generally appreciate, even used ones.
True, but returning to the topic at hand, I've seen some craaazyyyyyyyyyyyy prices for lenses with "unique" serial numbers, or "rare" 55/2 takumars.
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
True, but returning to the topic at hand, I've seen some craaazyyyyyyyyyyyy prices for lenses with "unique" serial numbers, or "rare" 55/2 takumars.
And they sit around unsold - if a lens is truly great and rare, it'll disappear in short order (assuming a proper price...or sometimes regardless of price). I don't think the whole over estimating values is anything new (or unique to this forum!).

Edit: on the original topic of body pricing - you can ask a higher price if you're willing to ship outside the US, as pricing will still tend to be cheaper than purchasing new abroad (assuming whatever is for sale isn't available from a US retailer that will ship internationally for a reasonable sum). Sometimes sellers will include extras as well, and ultimately we as viewers of a transaction outside the buyer/seller don't know what a final settled price may have been. I often list with a best offer option, but I generally don't change the final value when I close the thread either (that said I also try and price at fair market values and check out not only the forum closed threads but ebay and price accordingly).
01-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have noticed in the past 8 months of so that many eBay auctions for Takumar lenses are being started at silly high prices, quite beyond final bid prices of those sold with normal start prices. Also notice that some of them are repeatedly being offered without any bids.Initally it was mainly sellers from Europe, but now also from US.

I have also noticed a couple which have sensible prices, but absolutely ridiculous postage prices, such as $80 or ever one 70-150mm STak with postage at about $150. Hoping people will get excited by the low bid price and overlook the issue of postage.

01-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #20

My local CL has a K100d with a 55-200mm lens in mint condition. i checked the clicks and its at 2000 shots. he is asking $225 but wont take less then $200. Its been for sale for a month now. I wanted it for $175. what do u guys think of this deal. Im concerned about the older sensor technology not being as good at higher isos. Can i please get opinions. thank u
01-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mypobox Quote
My local CL has a K100d with a 55-200mm lens in mint condition. i checked the clicks and its at 2000 shots. he is asking $225 but wont take less then $200. Its been for sale for a month now. I wanted it for $175. what do u guys think of this deal. Im concerned about the older sensor technology not being as good at higher isos. Can i please get opinions. thank u
$200 is a fair price if everything is in good working order. The lens is worth half that, and the body still definitely more than $100 too. I always thought the 6mp sensor cameras had a nice grain look - yes there will be more grain at higher ISOs, but it isn't horrible and 1600 is still usable in a pinch.
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two hundred dollars is kind of a psychological barrier for a DSLR price. A lot of owners have a hard time parting with a working DSLR for less.

Look at this K100D in terms of cost of ownership. You could buy it, use it for a year and sell it for $50 less.

I think the sensor is great if you get the shot right. You can't crop away half the shot or radically change exposure in processing. I have some good shots at ISO 1600. With some decent primes, it has to be pretty dark to need more than 1600. The extra features on new bodies are sometimes nice but not essential.
01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
To be fair I've gotten some good deals too. A ZX-7 w/ FA 28-80 & FA 80-320 for $50. A P30T w/ F 35-135 for $75. And most recently a PZ-70 w/ FA 50/1.7 & Tamron 28-200 for $100.
You must live in a larger market. In my CL area it's rare to find anything 'Pentax' at all.

01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There's actually quite a few Pentax lenses and older cameras on my local (Seattle/Tacoma) craigslist. Pretty broad range of prices, some seem to be nice deals.
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arcturus Quote
You must live in a larger market. In my CL area it's rare to find anything 'Pentax' at all.
Two required round trips of 200 miles. The third was shipped by the seller because it was in the middle of a bad winter. I have only ever seen one thing listed locally that I would even consider (a Black Spotmatic w/ Super-Macro-Takumar 50mm for $100).
01-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Right now my local CL has at least a dozen people trying to sell a K1000 with the standard 50 F2 lens for at least $150-200. The market for them is so bad here they'd be lucky to get $20 for one. I see the same thing with DSLR's of all makes. People trying to sell a 10 year old DSLR for $500-800 and if you ask them how many shots they have absolutely no clue. I see the same thing with the things I like to collect. Barbies that didn't sell for more than $20 when they came out, that you can't get $20 for on Ebay and they're still asking $50. I'm pretty amazed when I do see someone who prices things reasonably. They seem to think they're all PT Barnum and the rest of us are the suckers, either that or they're just all batshiz crazy. I worked in retail for years. I get supply and demand just fine but most of these people there's no sense of realism in their pricing at all and the stuff just sits there for months and months unsold, of course. I have enough trouble selling the same things at realistic prices so I know they're not going to. But it's not my business to tell people what to sell stuff for. All I can do is vote with my wallet, and not buy...
01-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #27

I sold a olympus 4/3 the other day on CL for $125. the guy couldn't believe why I was selling it so cheap. I told him, $125 is a fair price. If I sold it on ebay by the time I was done with shipping and ebay and paypal fees I'd only get $125 in the end anyway.