Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

2nd Market Pricing

Help me understand secondary market pricing on Pentax bodies. First of all, i want to acknowledge that people should list their cameras and other possessions for whatever they would like and feel that they can sell them for. I don't want to call out any specific posts, but I notice an odd trend based on other things that I've watched secondary markets for of people listing their current model Pentax camera bodies at very near or sometimes exactly what they can be had for new from an authorized dealer. I know that they have access to B&H, Adorama and Amazon's prices just like the rest of us do, so I feel like I'm missing something. Likewise, discontinued models with thousands of actuations are not listed significantly lower than new, current models with much better features and specs + warranty.

Again, I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm all for free market, I feel like I'm just not understanding something. I don't want to point to examples, because then I'm making it personal, which is not my intent, but I'm sure some of you have noticed the same trend.

01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
people should list their cameras and other possessions for whatever they would like and feel that they can sell them for.
that's capitalism! if buyers think the listed price is too high, they won't buy it. or maybe the buyer is able to negotiate a lower price with the seller; we're not always aware of when that happens. but I agree with you that sometimes I notice someone selling used cameras and lenses for nearly the same price as a brand-new model, and I wonder why any buyer would pay that price. usually, those are the listings that are still for sale after several days or weeks. when a seller lists a more reasonable price that offers at least some discount off of the brand-new price, those products are sold more quickly. then there are listings where the product is sold for under market value in order to get a quick sale. everyone has their own reasons for choosing the prices that they select, and would-be buyers who are savvy should do their own market research before deciding whether the asking price is fair and worth it to them.
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

I've actually seen used listed for more than you can get a new one for.
01-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
although maybe the reason for that is that the one that has been used has been confirmed to have accurate focus, for example, unlike a new one that could require calibration or is from a bad batch. See, for example, Tamron 17-50. And then there are the collector's item lenses like made-in-japan FA limiteds, which often run higher than brand-new (AIV) versions.

01-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

I think it is people pay too much for their toys and when they go to sell them they have an inaccurate idea of what the things are worth. It makes sense. They failed to look for good deals when they bought and now they fail to look when they sell.
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I think it helps when things retain their value like that. I've slowly been climbing the Pentax ladder by buying/selling/buying again to get better lenses and camera bodies. I started with a K100d, got a K-x, had that stolen and got a K100d again and now I'm getting a K-7 haha. It's rough for newcomers but it helps out when you're already in it. Plus, from what I can tell, I think Pentax cameras retain their value because of the full access to all of Pentax's glassware without the need for adapters and whatnot (except for M42 screw mount).
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a bunch of weird prices in the photography world. The second hand market is a very attractive place for a lot of people, and it still reacts to supply/demand, so prices will fluctuate. Also, sometimes something new is not available where you live, but the same thing used is.
01-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is human nature to want to maximize your gain or minimize your loss, so there is a tendency to price too high.
Also, I'm sure some posters expect to be haggled down, whereas for others it is not as common a practice.
Finally you are going to see a bias to the over priced listings - items more fairly priced sell quicker and move to the sold items board.

01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
that's capitalism! ...
Yes, of course and I'm not throwing stones.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
...and would-be buyers who are savvy should do their own market research before deciding whether the asking price is fair and worth it to them.
And I would think that any Pentax Forums member would be informed enough to qualify as a savvy buyer.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Right? More than one example in the month I've been hanging around here. That's what I'm curious about. I thought maybe I was missing something.
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
It is human nature to want to maximize your gain or minimize your loss, so there is a tendency to price too high. Also, I'm sure some posters expect to be haggled down, whereas for others it is not as common a practice. Finally you are going to see a bias to the over priced listings - items more fairly priced sell quicker and move to the sold items board.
agreed!!
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that these 'toys' are greatly depreciable items, both in terms of succeeding technology reducing their value as well as expected wear and tear. In markets where there is a niche with fewer clientele than others, prices will be higher, particularly with higher-end equipment.
01-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Remember that these 'toys' are greatly depreciable items, both in terms of succeeding technology reducing their value as well as expected wear and tear. In markets where there is a niche with fewer clientele than others, prices will be higher, particularly with higher-end equipment.
Camera bodies yes, lenses much less so. Older lenses have generally gone nowhere but up over the last half decade. Even some newer designs that are hard to find or their MSRPs have increased have seen used values higher than some might have purchased new (10-17mm, 12-24mm come to mind).
01-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I find browsing craigslist to be highly entertaining.

My local craigslist currently has a ZX-7 for $500, a *ist DS for $550, a Vivitar v3800n for $225, and a Pentax 67 for $600. The 67 is quite a bargain as the seller did some "research" and found some bodies listed for over $900 without a lens!

A little further out and we have another Vivitar for $125, a K1000 for $250, another K1000 for $225, a *ist DS for $250 and a K10D $450.
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I find browsing craigslist to be highly entertaining. My local craigslist currently has a ZX-7 for $500, a *ist DS for $550, a Vivitar v3800n for $225, and a Pentax 67 for $600. The 67 is quite a bargain as the seller did some "research" and found some bodies listed for over $900 without a lens! A little further out and we have another Vivitar for $125, a K1000 for $250, another K1000 for $225, a *ist DS for $250 and a K10D $450.
Stop! Stop! You might cure me of my LBA with these prices
01-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Stop! Stop! You might cure me of my LBA with these prices
To be fair I've gotten some good deals too. A ZX-7 w/ FA 28-80 & FA 80-320 for $50. A P30T w/ F 35-135 for $75. And most recently a PZ-70 w/ FA 50/1.7 & Tamron 28-200 for $100.