Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Date folders

Why did Pentax choose such an odd folder naming convention? I'd much rather they name them "2013-01-08" (and then perhaps "-001, -002, -003, etc. if it needs more folders for that date. If I find a memory card I haven't used in a while, or images I imported to clear off a memory card and then forgot about for a long time, there is no indication what year that folder was created.

Is there a particular reason for doing it the way they do it?

Charles.

01-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd be ashamed to have cards so old you have to ask about the contents :-)

Seriously, I don't see the issue. I transfer the images, then format the card before leaving on the next shoot.
01-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I have three cards I use during a trip, they'll all start with different numbers even though they're taken on the same date. This will make the folders sort out of date in a folder view on my PC. I mean, it's not a huge issue, but I'd really rather have the ability to control how the folders are named. I'm just curious why they went index number first instead of date first, and why not put a year?

Charles.
01-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dcim specification defines the allowed folder and file names Folder names need to start with a number between 100 and 999

See e.g. Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Need to know more? You can download the full spec

01-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a retarded design spec, likened back to the days of DOS and 8-character filename limitations. Ah well, there is some small comfort in knowing everyone else is stuck with this too.

Charles.
01-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
That's a retarded design spec, likened back to the days of DOS and 8-character filename limitations.
I agree. If I recall correctly, Win95 is the last Windows OS that had the 8 character limit.

Also, the 8 character limit still exists in certain parts of windows; I had a hell of a time to figure out why some code that I wrote for Win7 did not work as expected (actually did not work at all) till I read that something could only be 8 characters; and that indeed worked out to be filenames due to (more than likely) backward compatibility.
01-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've always just gone with what they gave me -- it's easier to go with the flow than fight or resent it if I can make a workable system that incorporates it. I recently posted about this in a thread about how to distinguish photos taken with different lenses with the same focal length that are not identified in exif, so I'll just cut an paste a little to save typing. . .

I have separate partitions on my hard drive for each camera body, and save the images in folders by year, with subfolders by month, with subfolders by date created by the camera, then add the lenses used to these date folder names, along with location and subject data. I can look at the exif of a final version of the shot (which are all copied to separate folders for finalized PP'd images by subject), get the camera model and date, and go to the correct partition, month, and date folder, and find the original by img #.

Sounds more complicated than it is -- I could also index everything in one of the photo file management programs, but I started this way a long time ago, when photo file management was in its infancy or before, and have never found one that was so astoundingly efficient that it motivated me to go through 12 years worth of files and index them to the system -- probably to find another program that's more efficient, and have to go through the whole process again. . .

This works for me. . .

Scott
01-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
save the images in folders by year, with subfolders by month, with subfolders by date created by the camera, then add the lenses used to these date folder names, along with location and subject data.
Putting different bodies on different HDD partitions would not suit me. For example, at a soccer match or athletics meet I'll have 2 cameras: one with a telephoto lens for the action, the other with a prime or a low FL zoom for the awards, team photos, before/half-time/after the game shots. Or I may use the prime for fixed-distance action e.g. high jump. So I want the photos from all bodies, at the same event, together.

I only have a few main directories:

Photos (general stuff)
Little Athletics (will split this into years as it gets bigger)
Soccer 2012
Soccer 2011
Soccer 2010
Soccer 2009

Within each main directory, all sub-directories begin with YYYYMMDD (so they're automatically sorted) e.g.

20120826 Trip to Kangaroo Point

20100410 Aristocats vs Bionicles

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-12-2013 at 07:19 PM.
01-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi dosdan.

Same difference, different system, still by date -- The thread is about having month and day as file folder naming default.

I've also carried two cameras a lot, but never two of the same model. IIRC, before the K5, we didn't have the option to change the prefix on the file names in the camera -- everything was IMGPxxxx. I've been doing this since 2006 with a DS, K100DS, K10, K20, K-7, K-5, and now a K-5 IIs. There were times early on that both cameras were in overlapping file number sequences, and I could not combine the contents in the same folder without renaming all of the files from one camera first. I could, however remember which cameras I used that day, and after PP, I saved to different file names because the species were different and the PP applied differed. Finished files could then be copied into different "finished" folders on a totally different "finished" partition since there was no longer a file name confilct. All originals stay filed by camera and date. I look at any final image and can go back to the original by looking at the exif and finding the model, original date, and file number

With the K-5 and K-5 IIs as the two cameras I'd carry together, I can combine the files in the same date folder since I can change the prefix for each camera, so there is no file number conflict. With 2 Qs, though, I need to rename folders on the memory card before I download them to keep them separate. This dies pose a bit of a problem, but since the folders are side by side in the same partition and parent folder, the worst that happens is that it takes a few seconds more to find the right original file.

This system would work for anyone, you just have developed a system that you prefer -- it's just a file organizing system that doesn't rely on any specific software to work.
01-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi dosdan.

Same difference, different system, still by date -- The thread is about having month and day as file folder naming default.
I use date for folders in the camera, but usually rename them before I move them to the HDD. Folder names like 100_1208 & 101_1208 don't do much for me.

On the K5, I customise the filenames to K5_nnnnn. (With the camera's 500 shots to a folder rule, I recombine them to a single event folder on the HDD.) It's ridiculous that you can't customise filenames on all modern Pentax cameras, like the K-01. It's not a high-end feature. Just basic and practical.

I use the batch renamer in XnView sometimes for filename alteration. So, when I have K20D photos of before & after the match, I rename the before shots to A... and the after shots to X... so they appear at the beginning and end, with the main K5... photos in the middle in that event's gallery in Google+.

Difficulties arise for the half-time photos. There's usually only a few, so I end up renaming them to something like K5_29080a, K5_29080b, K5_29080c etc (if K5_29080 is the last photo in the 1st half and K5_29081 is the first photo in the 2nd half) so they occur in the right part of the sequence.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-12-2013 at 08:04 PM.
01-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Why did Pentax choose such an odd folder naming convention? I'd much rather they name them "2013-01-08" (and then perhaps "-001, -002, -003, etc. if it needs more folders for that date. If I find a memory card I haven't used in a while, or images I imported to clear off a memory card and then forgot about for a long time, there is no indication what year that folder was created.

Is there a particular reason for doing it the way they do it?

Charles.

What software are you using?

I transfer mine using Windows and that is the way they are all named. The date is whatever I tell it to be, usually the date of the transfer. The EXIF data reflect the date and time taken according to camera time and date.
01-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Hi dosdan,

Well that's where we differ -- I don't like to change the file names unless the image is finalized for output, and that's easily done with a "save as" at the end of PP for each individual file. All I need to do is add my own code to the original file name for what it is and what I did to it, so they're all still unique. When downloading to the HDs, there are no decisions that have to be made, I just copy the folders into the correct month for the camera, then combine same date folders if there are any and delete the empties. When I'm done editing the ones I want, I just sort the folder by time/date and all of the edited files bunch up together because they're the latest to be created so they're easily selected to be copied to my finalized folder on another partition. I can then edit the folder name with codes to indicate location, species, and lenses used and back up the new folder so I have copies of all the originals on a portable drive.

Your system sounds pretty convoluted. I like simple.

Scott
01-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hi dosdan,
Your system sounds pretty convoluted. I like simple.
Scott
Each to his own. But I think what I'm trying to do is probably more complex too.

1-2 times a week, I upload galleries of 200-500 swimming, athletics & soccer photos for access by kids sports club parents. Some of these at split into smaller specific galleries.

For example from the 13th Oct 2012 Little Athletics meet: 29 SmugMug galleries including 1 gallery of edited miniDV movies, all organised under the Little Athletics category & 20121013 subcategory.

One of the event galleries from this meet: 20121013 U8 100m (1 event gallery, but containing photos from multiple races, if lots of competitors - only 6 lanes, and separate races for both genders - unless the number of competitors is small enough to have both genders in 1 race). Regardless of how many cameras I used, the shots are in the gallery in chronological order.

All the PEFs from this meet are in one HDD directory, I:\Little Athletics\20121013. After raw processing (I cull - starting out with 700-1200 raw files - and adjust each raw file I keep), I use XnView to move the outputted JPEGs into the separate sub-directories, ready for uploading to SmugMug.

My directory system seems to work, and I don't have problems finding the original PEFs again (I only shoot raw) if I need to reprocess. I'm not interested in recording the camera and lens used in the directory name. That's in the EXIF and I can do a filtered search on that, but for me, that's a minor concern.

The online organisation is described here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/210684-organising-di...ml#post2228360

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-13-2013 at 03:28 AM.
02-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
Forum Member

I have always wondered how this date/naming spec worked.
Just now I was looking at the 'other' calendars offered in my taskbar and noticed that the Taiwanese format is 102-02-17 (for 2013-02-17) and thought I had discovered the source of this grail of truth... alas, not so.
It really is just an annoying dumb old spec. Blame FAT32.