Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OP wants to stick with Pentax but wants FF as well.
I'd suggest either keep shooting with your K-5 until you absolutely need a FF and then buy one elsewhere if by that time Pentax doesn't have it ready.
If you can wait a year or so, you'd probably be happier.

01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

And looking on the bright side ... if in a year Pentax doesn't come with FF, when you will be looking for a FF camera, you will most probably find better deals then now .
Prices are going down slowly but surely every year.
01-10-2013, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It's pointless to debate whether the OP or customers really need a particular sensor format. They may not need FF but it's mostly their decision.

I really need Pentax's FF digital, and everyone to dump their inadequate APS-C gear on the market at 30% of its cost. My photos would improve a lot.
Dave no argument on either point, FF for me offers little so I am not interested, and if I "need" FF, I simply put the slowest film Incan purchase into my PZ1 and go shooting.
If a person, however says he needs full frame without specifying why, it makes me wonder if he is simply saying he Needs it because he has been told that it is the best so he simply must shoot with the best.

I know a lot of people like this, who are just starting out, and think spending thousands will make them better photographers. It simply isn't true, but so be it.
01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If their reasons are correct or not, doesn't matter at all. They're the customer.
I absolutely agree with you there.

But I'll just make the observation that I know a lot of pros (having worked until recently for a regional magazine publisher) not one of whom uses a 135 format DSLR.

But they are still pros.

01-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Banned

Most pros I know have usually two FF cams for the jobs, but they also often carry as an additional body, or as their second, a crop sensor model. So the Canon guys I shoot with are using the 7D and the Nikon guys are using the D7000 and in real life, there's no competiion or arrogance. We all sit down, eat together, chat about other things, look at the work, etc. The other thing is that the Canon guys often say to the Nikon guys how if they were on Nikon, they'd love to have the D7000 as their crop body.
01-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

They should be ecstatic about the K-5, then.
01-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #22

I really don't understand the benefit of a full frame over crop sensor. I mean, if Pentax does release a FF, will it use the same lenses? If so, won't it just mean less of the image is cropped? I understand resolution differences, but what's to stop them releasing an APSC sensor with a higher resolution instead (or in addition)? Also, if it uses the same lenses, and your lens isn't super sharp in the corners now, with a FF sensor it will be that much less sharp in the corners, won't it?
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by npridgeon Quote
I mean, if Pentax does release a FF, will it use the same lenses?
Pentax would most likely add some FF lenses to the six FF lenses currently in their lineup. Plus there are a multitude of older FF lenses and some third party offerings as well.

I understand resolution differences, but what's to stop them releasing an APSC sensor with a higher resolution instead (or in addition)?
Yes, Pentax could cram more pixels into APS-C sensors; but there is a point of diminishing returns when doing that. At a certain point, the quality of the resolution begins to suffer. The advantages, resolution-wise, of the current 24 MP APS-C sensors over the 16 MP sensors used in the K-5 and K-30 are, for all practical purposes, negligible.

Also, if it uses the same lenses, and your lens isn't super sharp in the corners now, with a FF sensor it will be that much less sharp in the corners, won't it?
Potentially a problem with some of the older zoom lenses. Most Pentax primes (with the possible exception of the old M 20/4) should be fine on FF.

I really don't understand the benefit of a full frame over crop sensor
There are (potentially at least) advantages in thinness of DOF, and in resolution, in low-light capability, and possibly dynamic range with FF over APS-C. Although the extent and significance of these advantages tend to be exaggerated by FF enthusiasts, they do exist.

01-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I really don't understand the benefit of a full frame over crop sensor. I mean, if Pentax does release a FF, will it use the same lenses? If so, won't it just mean less of the image is cropped? I understand resolution differences, but what's to stop them releasing an APSC sensor with a higher resolution instead (or in addition)? Also, if it uses the same lenses, and your lens isn't super sharp in the corners now, with a FF sensor it will be that much less sharp in the corners, won't it?
Often times the primary perceived-resolution limiter is the lenses, not the megapixels of the sensor.

I think I've seen one lens that was tested poorer in resolution in the corners (in resolved line height/picture height) on FF than APS-C. Because the magnification of a FF sensor is so much lower than APS-C, the FF just resolves much better in the corner, too.

If you're taking pictures where a shallower-depth-of-field can be tolerated (for instance, pictures at infinity) or desired, the noise on a FF sensor is over a stop better.

Etc., etc.
06-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Forum Member

[/URL]
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Often times the primary perceived-resolution limiter is the lenses, not the megapixels of the sensor.

I think I've seen one lens that was tested poorer in resolution in the corners (in resolved line height/picture height) on FF than APS-C. Because the magnification of a FF sensor is so much lower than APS-C, the FF just resolves much better in the corner, too.

If you're taking pictures where a shallower-depth-of-field can be tolerated (for instance, pictures at infinity) or desired, the noise on a FF sensor is over a stop better.

Etc., etc.
See this blog for more details on FF benefits (it is a bit bias but give a good overview)

The Full-Frame Advantage