Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Shimming the screen is the only way to do it, there are no other adjustments for the OVF.
I'm not talking about OVF, but rather the front/back focusing problem while manual focusing with split-screens.
Image will look in focus inside the OVF but actual picture might be front/back focused.

Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - PentaxForums.com.

It can be done/fixed from the menu on the K-5.
No need for shimming ... unless you really want to.

01-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I'm not talking about OVF, but rather the front/back focusing problem while manual focusing with split-screens.
Image will look in focus inside the OVF but actual picture might be front/back focused.

Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - PentaxForums.com.

It can be done/fixed from the menu on the K-5.
No need for shimming ... unless you really want to.
That is for auto focus, it has absolutely nothing to do with the focusing screen. The adjustment of the focusing screen has to do with the distance between the screen and the mirror, there are no electronic adjustments, only shims.
01-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That is for auto focus, it has absolutely nothing to do with the focusing screen. The adjustment of the focusing screen has to do with the distance between the screen and the mirror, there are no electronic adjustments, only shims.
OK ..
01-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbennett1971 Quote
Thanks for all the advice! Still a little confused as to which supplier could give me the best product, though. After some research, it looks like it'll be a snap to do...so not really an issue there. Thoughts?
If you are looking for a focus screen to use with your large aperture lenses only, the Canon EE-S screen is probably the best option. My understanding of this screen is that EE-S screen has very good micro contrast to discern differences in DOF close to f1.4 but at a cost of noticeably darker viewfinder as compared to the standard screen.

My lenses run the gamut from f1.4 to f8, with the Canon EE-S screen I wouldn't be able to focus with about 2/3 of them. I have opted for the KatzEye split prism focus screen with Optibrite treatment for the K-5 (on it's way). Even if the main split prism blackens out due to low light situations or slow lenses, with the aid of the micro prisms and the ground glass portion of the screen, I've not had much problems in focusing f8 lenses on my K20D with KatzEye split prism screen and I expect the Optibrite treatment will only make it better.