Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #1

Pentax Asahi Spotmatic and Accessories...Price?

Hello all! My grandfather was over in Japan during Vietnam and acquired a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. I don't have much interest in photography and don't know how to use the camera but am sure that someone else would! The camera is in good condition.

Attached Images

01-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's probably worth around $100. If you do want to sell this stuff, go ahead and post it on the marketplace here:
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

You can also refer to our camera database or previous marketplace threads to see how much these have been going for lately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
Because I'm new on the forum, I can't edit my post but I was wondering how much these items would be valued at? I'm having difficulty doing research online.
01-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, somehow I managed to delete half of my original post but here's the description: It has been kept in a leather Asahi Pentax cover. The camera bag also included a Kako Hi-Beam II, a Kenko Auto Teleplus lens extender, and Hoya filters. These items do have their little instruction booklets/papers but the camera unfortunaltey does not. It all comes wrapped in a Japanese camera bag! I uploaded pictures so you can all see the lovely treasures I discovered.

01-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
There is also a Cosmos APS Auto Teleplis 2x lens
01-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are good quality cameras, and were expensive when new. I love them, and have over five Spotmatics myself. Since you may wish to sell this on ebay if not here, you may find giving some of the following information will assist you. You don't have to be an expert to check the following:

It will help sell your camera if you let people know more about it.

1) The condition of the lens - fungus? haze? dust? scratches? glass - coating? (Use a light when checking lens) Operation of focus and aperture rings (are they stiff, sloppy or smooth?)

2) The shutter: Put it on 1 second speed, and check if it sounds about right for 1 second opening. Do other speeds sound faster? How do the curtains look (if it is an SLR?)

3) The condition of the foam on the mirror bumper and backdoor seals. Is it gummy and crumbling?

4) If it has a self timer, does it work? Yours does have. Cock the shutter, then move the lever on front face 90 degrees to expose the release button

5) If it has a depth of field button or lever or switch, do they work? (Best checked with the lens closed down to a small opening) Yours is on the lens itself.

6) Describe what you see looking at the camera: Dents? Scratches? Dirt? The more the buyer knows, the less he will hesitate to buy. You should not expect more than $100 unless the camera is in serviced condition.

Last edited by arnold; 01-11-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: clarification
01-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't forget to take that lens cover off and get a nice clear picture of the front of the lens (with or without the camera).

Liz