Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-30 and EXIF

I've noticed small but at times annoying issues with my K-30's.

- Some photos wont show in Photo Mechanic. Tagging/untagging can in some cases resolve this but not always. Some photos appear as very small and also stretched severely like 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. I can view them fine in ACDSee or LR.
- Orientation is sometimes wrong - There can be instances where the camera might get confused but I've noticed this on clear cut cases as well. ACDsee and LR show them with wrong orientation as well.
- registry of flash usage can be false. I first noticed this months ago but didn't put too much into it since I didn't need the info - but now I just did and naturally I'm not too happy aboput not being able to trust my EXIF data.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I was checking photos from an event I shot at couple of months ago - I don't have an exact count my by geuss would be 1/4-1/3 of the proofed shots has wrong EXIF data. That's a lot!

Ps. I do not purposely edit my EXIF data.

01-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I've noticed small but at times annoying issues with my K-30's.

- Some photos wont show in Photo Mechanic. Tagging/untagging can in some cases resolve this but not always. Some photos appear as very small and also stretched severely like 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. I can view them fine in ACDSee or LR.
- Orientation is sometimes wrong - There can be instances where the camera might get confused but I've noticed this on clear cut cases as well. ACDsee and LR show them with wrong orientation as well.
- registry of flash usage can be false. I first noticed this months ago but didn't put too much into it since I didn't need the info - but now I just did and naturally I'm not too happy aboput not being able to trust my EXIF data.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I was checking photos from an event I shot at couple of months ago - I don't have an exact count my by geuss would be 1/4-1/3 of the proofed shots has wrong EXIF data. That's a lot!

Ps. I do not purposely edit my EXIF data.
Are you sure it's not just a problem with the software? If photo mechanic does a poor job of decoding the exif, it could potentially misinterpret certain fields.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Camera manufacturers often put things in a section of the EXIF called the "makernotes" not all programs read all of this correctly. The basic info should be correct but some things not provided for in the basic EXIF are added in the MakerNotes. Camera orientation for example is in the MakerNotes. Do you have the Pentax software? Try that, I suspect everything will read correctly there. Or try EXIFGUI to see if everything is being recorded properly.

You also might check to see if you have the latest software versions.
01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the inputs - I should have added that I was filtering in Lightroom. I use primarily Photo Mechanics for first round proofing prior to importing photos into Lightroom.

EXIFGUI telles me flash didn't fire under both EXIF and Maker fields - I only checked 2 photos.

I did think something might be up with Photo Mechanic - but with the photo orientation and flash usage on top of that (in LR as well) I kind of doubt it's PM to blame here.

01-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

but with the photo orientation
Check your camera menu C4-23 on k-5 "Saving Rotation Info" Just a thought, not sure if that has any affect or not.
01-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Can't seem to find a similar setting on my K-30. That shouldn't be it though because I've had number of occasions where the orientation change from one photo to the next but without the camera angle changing more than perhaps 1 degree max and where I was pointing more or less straight ahead. I've also had instances where the photos were turned upside down - mostly in portraits "mode" I believe.
01-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Can't seem to find a similar setting on my K-30
Just looked in the k-30 manual and I don't see it either. It was a long shot anyway.

Are you shooting RAW or jpeg? And one thing to try would be the other to see if the problem exists in both. You also might want to check firmware version.

Still I've never heard of an issue like this elsewhere so the most likely explanation is something local to you. Either your camera, your memory card or the card reader.
01-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I shoot RAW. The things happens on chance and rarely so if it could take a while before noticing anything if I change to JPEG.

I actually just remembered something - Last time I clearly recall it occurring was about 2 months ago during an event. I have some battery issues going on and often re-insert same set of AA batteries which enables the camera to keep on shooting some more, often several hundred shots. I remember thinking back then, that the camera was behaving oddly - and since I stopped doing this (re-insert batteries once the camera wont turn on) I don°t recall having any image orientation problems. It's a theory and nothing conclusive.

The flash usage registry however seems to be false no matter what state the batteries are in. I mostly do not use a flash so I haven't been able to identify any pattern - but as stated in my first post - lots of photos from a event seems to have wrong flash exif info and it can impossibly be battery related in the same way as with image orientation.

I upgraded the firmware about a week ago - it's still too soon to tell whether that makes any difference.