Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens contacts, contact or else ...

My K-7 started to develop a problem which may be linked with dirty lens contacts, I believe.

With three different lenses, I noted that the camera top LCD started to show, after a while, the indication F----. The AF still works, but I lost Aperture information. If I swicthc off the camera, remove and re-insert the lesn, it may solve the problem for a short while. Alternately, I would clean the contacts with a soft dry cloth at home and everything would work fine for sometimes (a few days). (There is an interesting discussion on lens contact cleaning at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/188228-cleaning...-contacts.html.)

- Is this behaviour typical of dirty contacts?

- Is there a specific contact which would cause this? Or is this a combination of all/several contacts? (I am thinking that there might be a faulty contact [singular], but which one?)

- Alternately, could this be caused by the lens mount (eg untightened)?

Any input is most welcome. If I cannot fix it myself, I would off course consider to service the lens (and any suggestion for service in Australia is welcome).

Thank you.

01-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Having same issues with my K-7 and Sigma 105mm Macro. It seems spasmodic and is readily, albeit temporarily, fixed by dismounting and remounting the lens. It has not overly bothered me yet but if it is a symptom of a developing problem it might be timely for a more thorough investigation and fix.
01-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi hcc and Bruce,

Take a look at this site -- though the mod is not relevant, you can get some insight to what each of the pins does.

http://www.robertstech.com/matrix.htm

The contact that you probably need to concentrate on is the "A" pin since AF seems not to be effected. Inspect the "A" pin on both the lens and body for any oil, dirt corrosion, or oxidation. Also try spanning a straight edge supported on adjoining pins to see if the pin is no protruding to the same distance as the others.

Scott
01-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi hcc and Bruce,

Take a look at this site -- though the mod is not relevant, you can get some insight to what each of the pins does.

http://www.robertstech.com/matrix.htm

The contact that you probably need to concentrate on is the "A" pin since AF seems not to be effected. Inspect the "A" pin on both the lens and body for any oil, dirt corrosion, or oxidation. Also try spanning a straight edge supported on adjoining pins to see if the pin is no protruding to the same distance as the others.

Scott
Scott
Thanks. Will follow the advice and see if it helps.