Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Can't set aperture on FA 50mm 1.4

Hello all

I am a newbie here and need help! I just purchased a SMC FA 50mm 1.4 lens after having a manual 50mm. I loved my manual lens but was excited to have the ease of the FA. I am very new to photography and admit I have a lot to learn but this new lens has me stumped. When I set the aperture to any setting other than "A" it always shoots with an aperture of 1.4 no matter what number I have set it at. When in "A" it only shoots at 2.8 or 8. What am I missing? I tried all shooting modes and no change. I hope someone can help. I don't think the lens is defective so it must be something that I am doing wrong. Thanks!

01-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi. The behavior in any setting other than A is normal - you need to leave it in A and set aperture from the body. But you should have the full range of apertures available, 1.4 to 22. Have you made sure the contacts are clean?
01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Hi. The behavior in any setting other than A is normal - you need to leave it in A and set aperture from the body. But you should have the full range of apertures available, 1.4 to 22. Have you made sure the contacts are clean?
You will think that I am a complete idiot but.... how do you set the aperture from the body? With only using manual all I know is to set it at the ring. Everything looks great on the lens.
01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What camera are you using? If you set "Using Aperture Ring" to 2 Permitted in the Custom menu you can use the ring to set aperture, but you will have to use the Green button to set to meter.

01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to use the aperture ring, follow these instructions, but with an A lens this is overkill:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

On Pentax DSLRs, the e-dial will control the aperture in Av mode. If you have one with a single dial and want to change the aperture in P mode, press the exposure compensation button while turning the e-dial.

The reason you can't use the aperture ring on the lens normally is that DSLRs lack the mechanical sensor that detects the position of the ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What camera are you using? If you set "Using Aperture Ring" to 2 Permitted in the Custom menu you can use the ring to set aperture, but you will have to use the Green button to set to meter.
I have a kx. Mine is set to permitted. I appreciate the responses. My manual is MIA at the moment (left it in my husbands car) but I will definitely read about this when I get it back. I guess I just assumed it would be completely automatic. Thanks for all the help!
01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Av mode the thumb dial controls aperture, in TV it controls Shutter speed. In M the default position is shutter speed, but pressing the +/- button tabs to the Aperture. I think that is what you are looking for.

01-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
In Av mode the thumb dial controls aperture, in TV it controls Shutter speed. In M the default position is shutter speed, but pressing the +/- button tabs to the Aperture. I think that is what you are looking for.
Hey Matt, Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for! The manual would have helped and didn't phrase the question right on google. All is good now.
01-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You can find a copy of the manual on the Pentax site in PDF form, I keep a copy of my camera's manual on my phone so I always have it with me.

Here is the one for the K-x:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf