Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

file transfer errors

When I transfer files from my new K30 to my computer using the factory supplied cable the files are corrupted. Parts of the image are shifted in location, left side of picture on the right. Bands of pixals out of alignment, etc. I have tried USB slots on both back and front of computer - same result. This does not happen on my laptop which has an SD slot and did not happen on a friends computer when we used a card reader. Computer is Intel duo core, 64 bit. Windows 7.

01-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I can say is that, over the last fifteen years, owning cameras from multiple manufacturers (Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji and even some crappy Kodak and HP models) the worst, most error - laden way to transfer files is to connect your camera body directly to your computer. I don't know why. I will be forever annoyed about it and I gave up on even trying years ago.
01-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try a new card reader and/or new cable.
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steven Chain Quote
I have tried USB slots on both back and front of computer - same result.
Try a different cable? If that is not it, then possibly the port on the camera is damaged. I never use cables for transfer, I prefer to use a card reader it always seemed faster and more reliable.

01-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
All I can say is that, over the last fifteen years, owning cameras from multiple manufacturers (Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji and even some crappy Kodak and HP models) the worst, most error - laden way to transfer files is to connect your camera body directly to your computer. I don't know why. I will be forever annoyed about it and I gave up on even trying years ago.

+1 on that statement
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Try a different cable? If that is not it, then possibly the port on the camera is damaged. I never use cables for transfer, I prefer to use a card reader it always seemed faster and more reliable.
Agreed. Card readers are faster as the data doesn't need to pass through the camera. I can get some 20 MB/s through the built-in card slot on my laptop, but less than 10 MB/s by connecting the camera to the computer via USB.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 01-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.
01-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you. It's off to buy a card reader for me.

01-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've never had an issue with cables; they have always worked for me.
01-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
One of the reasons I rarely use the USB cable for data transfer is that the camera must also be turned on and set to act as an external disk drive. Why run my camera's batteries down just to transfer files to my computer?