Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #1

night shots

still learning with diditial i shoot a pentax k10d .do action sports (drag racing, motocross)) but need to do some action night shots .which flash should i use also how to set camera . thanks for any help . jimmy

01-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What type of shots are you taking? If you are doing cityscape/landscape shots, you shouldn't need a flash....just a sturdy tripod.
01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is this going to be pre-arranged with the drivers/riders? Any flash powerful enough to do what you're asking for is going to be distracting. Also, you're not going to be able to use a simple on camera flash, they don't have enough power. You need a big strobe and it needs to be very close to the action.

If this is not what you're wanting to do, your best bet is going to be getting a camera with better high ISO capabilities like the K-5 and a lens like the DA* 50-135 at the minimum, the DA* 60-250 would be ideal.
01-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Action shots with the K10d are tough. Depending on how close you can get to your subject matter, a flash may not help you much. If it can, you'll want to look into details but how flashes work so you can get the power you need. My first instinct is to suggest you get a flash with as high as a guide number as you can (i.e. reach).

With the K10d, the flash doesn't work as well as it should. It's implementation of pTTL always left my shots either over or under-exposed (rarely right). I think I found that using my flash's Automatic setting (instead of the camera) worked better for me in general. I was using an old Vivitar Flash (280T if I remember right) and now use a Metz 58. Both flashes actually worked well, but the Metz is better just because it is more modern and supports pTTL (which works better with my K5). It also supports high speed sync, which is useful if you want shorter shutter speeds.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees any of the above will work. If the cars are far away, the flash just may not reach. The K10d can be a bit lacking in night situations if speed is of the essence (autofocus is slow in darker situations). The higher ISO settings can lead to a lot of noise with that camera. Don't get me wrong, though, it is a nice camera. It just isn't as good as it could be, and it doesn't work as well as it should with a flash.