Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

When you buy a camera body, it pretty much decides your future lens purchases, so choose carefully. There's a certain "look" to pictures taken using Pentax lenses. It differs from that of Nikon and Canon, for example. I personally find the Pentax "look" very desirable, and many others here would agree! The Nikon and Canon "look" have their own plus points too, so I would recommend you compare work done using different lens brands to make sure you get the "look" you like.

For colour photography, Pentax renders colours in a really beautiful way - I've spoken to a few photographers moving out of Canon into Pentax, and the reason given was the way Pentax renders colour - hardly any PP is needed! Conversely, I've had people comment that my shots have good colour right out of the camera with no tweaking.

Moving to your area of concern, B&W, where contrasts and subject rendering are utterly crucial, Pentax lenses excel too. They typically give good overall-contrast and micro-contrast. In particular the prime lenses, and especially the Limiteds, offer SUPERB micro-contrast. This is important when it comes to faithfully rendering skin tones. Also, the Limiteds give a beautiful 3D rendering to subjects. You've really got to see it to appreciate it, and I think once you do, you'll like it a lot, whether in colour or B&W!

Since you do low-light shooting, Pentax offers in-body stabilisation in a cost-effective way - lenses are cheaper (not having VR mechanisms built-in) and all lenses benefit from the in-body stabilisation. I've read debates about the pros and cons of in-body vs in-lens stabilisation, and some say that in-body is actually superior for slow shutter speed scenarios (which tends to be the case for low light work). I can't prove that this is correct, but it's something for you to research further on.

Another factor is ergonomics and ease of use. When the camera body is "fighting" against you, as in non-intuitive button placement, hard-to-navigate menus, odd shape to grip in-hand, etc., all the rest isn't important any more - you'll feel demotivated to take another shot. In this regard, the K-7 and K-5 family are extremely good, so you'll want to consider that as well. Thanks.

02-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #17

Original Poster
A little update.. after a year, hah.
After becoming frustrated with Fuji a few times more, I finally decided to switch permanently. My current gear is on the Dutch version of ebay and I just ordered a new Pentax K-5 II and used 16-50mm and 50-135mm which I could get at a good price. The camera will arrive tomorrow and I'll probably pick up the lenses the day after tomorrow. Stoked!
02-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

So you went with the II and not IIs correct? Can't wait to see some pics...

JJ
04-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #19

Original Poster
I shot my first wedding with the K-5II last week actually:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/257698-people-shot-my...ml#post2778456