Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I use these on all my 50mm lenses without any issues:

Metal Vented Lens Hood for Lens with 52mm Filter Thread MH-52 | eBay

01-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I also find the assertions by many that rigid hoods protect better than rubber ones baffling. Rigid hoods transfer more energy directly to the camera because they do not collapse or absorb anything (particularly metal ones - the plastic ones can at least potentially shatter thereby dissipating some of the energy).
I use all three kinds (plastic, rubber and metal) on my lenses. The rubber ones can certainly absorb the shock, but at the same time they will collapse, most likely to the front element. On a "head-on" collision, a metal (or plastic to a certain extend) will keep the from element a couple inches from hitting the obstacle and scrubbing it. The rubber one will just give in. I suppose someone will invent a rubber-coated metal one to provide the best from both sides. On metal ones you can attach a cap on it and make it a permanent part of the lens.

I found metal ones with front threads very useful for macro work also, where I want to attach a ring flash very close to the subject and a few inches away from the front element. I found some cylindrical hoods with same thread sizes back and front very handy to be used as "spacers".
01-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

A 49-28mm step down adapter ring. Inexpensive, compact, protective.

this thread

this thread
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GXR A16  Photo 

Last edited by SOldBear; 01-16-2013 at 02:55 PM.
01-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I like SOldbear's solution, but currently use a old 49mm screw in metal hood that I picked up inexpensively in a dealer's bargain box many years ago, and a JJC square plastic clip on hood that's great for compact storage. It clips into the filter threads like a pinch lens cap. It can be stored reversed on the lens, and the standard 49mm lens cap will fit, but needs to be oriented to the pinch buttons on the hood -- actually not inconvenient once you get used to it.

Lens Hood Square 49mm Shade for Pentax SMC Da 35mm F 2 4 Al FA 50mm Ph SA49 | eBay

JJC makes clones for a number of Pentax OEM hoods. I have and use two so far for the Q (and another that I just ordered), had one that came with a used DA L 18-55 that I bought as a kit lens to go with a K10 body that I gave to a friend. They look to be identical to the OEM hoods, and I wouldn't be surprised if I were to find that Pentax contracts their hood fabricating out to them.

. . . just offering another option. . .

Scott

01-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #20

but since crop factor comes into play a original 50mm FA hood is not long enough

and if a 2" is not vignetting ... this

is just way to short
01-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
but since crop factor comes into play a original 50mm FA hood is not long enough

and if a 2" is not vignetting ... this

is just way to short
I agree completely, go back to just1moredave's post. I step down my hoods through the lens series. I use for example the hood from a 105 tak on the 50, the hood from the 135/200 on my 85/1.8, the hood from my 50 on the 35 etc. they still in most cases are not he longest possible. Tats why I suggested that the OP use the hoodcalc file to detainee the maximum he can use in length for diameter to still get the FOV
01-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #22

you can also use distance rings before attaching the hood ... i sadly own just one 49mm ring .. made of plastic.

but i will try to break some UV/haze filters and use them as distance rings to extend the hoods i already own

edit: beware of bleeding fingers .. could be real glass!

Last edited by paranoia23; 01-17-2013 at 11:12 AM.
01-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everybody for their input !

I was at a photography store a couple of days ago asking for a metal hood, and they only had the collapsible rubber one (the plumbers plunger as I described it). Because it was fairly cheap, I bought it because I didn't feel like waiting around for a generic one to arrive from China.

The rubber hood seems to be okay, and its quiet convenient in that it collapses when storing (and not for collision sake). The metal component that screws onto the lens is not a matt finish and has a shiny finish - which is not quite good enough. All in all it seems to work okay, the lens itself is producing a very nice 3D effect at f/1.4 and to me it doesn't seem to flare too badly even when the sun is in image:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/54618-zoolander/albums/6230-pent...ture54935.html

One guy has stated in the lens review for this lens that he owns the FA 50mm f/1,7 and the f/1.4 is just as sharp when you use a hood - so this is up for debate - but I'll take his advice on getting a hood.

I'll order a metal 1.5 or 2 inch one as suggested by some of the folks above anyway because I have other Pentax lenses which are need of having a hood. I'll test it out and remark on this thread when it eventually comes.

Last edited by zoolander; 01-21-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Insertion of link to Image from my album
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the same Takumar 1:3.5 135mm 1:4 150mm 1:5.6 200mm metal hood that Just1MoreDave mentioned for the FA 50mm f/1.4, and got it off eBay for $12. You can also get a "Pentax" 58mm pinch cap that fits the front of it. The hood offers nice flare protection and there are no vignetting problems. FYI.
01-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #25

Great info here!
Subscribed.........