Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
slow writing

I think this has been done to death but I am desperate! Two days ago I was doing some slow shutter with nd filter and pictures were opening up almost instantly. today I am back to the slow writing. For as long as I have the shutter open that's how long it takes for the pic to download.( I was doing 30second firework shots a few weeks ago and no probs). I have the noise reduction turned to off, no lens corrections on, have reformatted my 'sandisc extreme pro' but nothing is helping. Can anyone help with this.

01-15-2013, 02:03 AM   #2

Original Poster
PS

I have tried several different cards all with the same result.
01-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Fixed

I have found the culprit, which is really bizzare as I have never touched this setting. I had turned off 'noise reduction' and then someone mentioned "slow shutter speed noise reduction" sssnr I found this in the C section and turned it off. Now no slow writing. But I am still really puzzled about why it has never been a problem until today? It has never been turned off before? So any deep thoughts on this mystery would be appreciated. (It is a K7)
01-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It should be on by default, but it takes a few things into consideration besides shutter speed to determine whether or not to do a dark frame, like ISO and temperature. Maybe it was cooler when you tried it before.

Also, I believe the K-7 will still do a dark frame if the exposure time is longer than 30 seconds. That is what the manual says at least, that could have changed in a firmware update.

01-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
I have found the culprit, which is really bizzare as I have never touched this setting. I had turned off 'noise reduction' and then someone mentioned "slow shutter speed noise reduction" sssnr I found this in the C section and turned it off. Now no slow writing. But I am still really puzzled about why it has never been a problem until today? It has never been turned off before? So any deep thoughts on this mystery would be appreciated. (It is a K7)
If you have SSSNR turned on, then the camera will process the photo for the same amount of time as the exposure. That's how it is on all Pentaxes AFAIK (and yes, I do believe that they could optimize this particular feature to not take as long).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you have SSSNR turned on, then the camera will process the photo for the same amount of time as the exposure. That's how it is on all Pentaxes AFAIK (and yes, I do believe that they could optimize this particular feature to not take as long).
How?
Like you say it needs to take a darkframe exposure with the same settings so if you use 30seconds the DFS also needs to be 30s how do you want to speed it up?
01-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
How?
Like you say it needs to take a darkframe exposure with the same settings so if you use 30seconds the DFS also needs to be 30s how do you want to speed it up?
In theory it could just store the dark frames for certain parameters, like at 100 ISO, 30s exposure and a certain temperature range the noise is likely to be the same, so instead of taking a new dark frame it uses the stored one. Of course, every sensor isn't exactly the same, so they couldn't just preload dark frames onto each body with the firmware.

Maybe have it set to store a dark frame in the buffer so the first shot requires you to wait for the dark frame, but each shot after that with the same parameters would just use the same dark frame, saving time.

I just leave it off and fix the hot pixels in post, I can't really tell the difference in the results.
01-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

But pixels also change over time.

For astro photography you do DFS manually before each shoot