Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A really noob question on DA*s

I just got my DA*50-135 after like a month of waiting from the local distributor... Somehow they stocked two (lol!) so they had me choose which one should I take.

I tested both lenses on a K-5 II at the store (I knew I should've brought my own cam!) and noticed a little difference between the two copies: the first one, with serial number 9297xxx was fast but a little jittery in locking, while the one I picked, 9298xxx was smoother to lock but just at the same speed.

So here are my questions:

1. How fast should SDM on the 50-135 be, usually? Mine took like half to a full second from infinity to MFD at 135mm on my K-x, and a little faster on the K-5 IIs.
2. Does SDM speed vary across bodies?
3. A question on build: Whenever I quick-shift the lens there's sometimes some clunk sound (faint but it's there) when the lens hits MFD or infinity. Is that normal?
4. Another question on build: it seems a little tighter mounting into the K-5 IIs body compared to, say, the Tamron 17-50 and FA77. Is that normal?
5. Lastly, is it alright to uh... well, "test" its weathersealing...?

Just want to know if I should have it replaced right away... before things worsen (if something's wrong, that is)

Thanks in advance for your answers.. really appreciate it! (I'm pretty new to DA*s and since I bought new, the price took a real big punch on my savings.)

Last edited by Alizarine; 01-16-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: corrected serial
01-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

1. That sounds about right
2. It doesn't vary much, but newer bodies will generally be a bit more decisive than older ones
3. Yup that's normal
4. Yup, because of the weather sealing around the mount (there's a black rubber seal there that you may have missed)
5. Grab a cup of water and splash it on your camera and lens. But cover the front element because you don't want to have to clean it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

1, seems about right but at least the DA*50-135 almost never hunts
2. yes the newer the body the faster
3. yes because you reach the end stop of the focus
4. could be there is a weather seal on the mount
5. why not, they claim it to be weather sealed so go shower with it
01-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
5. Grab a cup of water and splash it on your camera and lens. But cover the front element because you don't want to have to clean it.
Front of the lens have special coating so weather just pearls of from it, no cleaning needed if the front glass is clean because greas of course will hold the water.

01-16-2013, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

I think I got a knockoff...

Mine says it's "Whether Sealed" -- Must be from China.
01-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

witch whether?
01-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies Whew, thought that clunk was an anomaly in the item.

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Mine says it's "Whether Sealed" -- Must be from China.
oddly enough, my serial number card says "Printed in Jappan"