Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 IIs hangs with built-in flash!

Been trippin around with two new lenses when I decided to use the built-in flash because I was feeling too lazy to mount my Metz on it.

Then the K-5 IIs stuck up, after a flash or two.

I tried to find the cause of the problem, and here it was:

1 battery (still green) in the grip, none in the body. Could it be a stability issue?

It works all fine until I press the switch for the built-in flash - at which point the cam freezes, even if I turn the power to "off" (it does power off after 10 or so seconds).

I tried solving the issue by putting the batt in the body - it worked. What I'm wondering about is, I've used the camera before with no battery in the body and only in the grip, and used the flash in that manner too... it was working then. I have no idea why it hangs the camera now.

01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've had my K-5 shut itself off when the battery in the body was low and I tried using the flash or lV, even though the grip battery was fully charged and selected as the primary power source. So I think there may be some unresolved issues in this respect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess there really are some bugs still. I'll see if the firmware update solves this.
01-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Slightly off-topic (not flash-related), but I think I've found a way to hang the K-5IIs's OS.

Firmware 1.01 already installed.

In the menu, I set the camera to record the smallest files possible. One-star JPEGs only.

Taking the smallest files possible yields the greatest number of files that may be saved, right?

Everything seemed fine until I closed the menu, and thereby locked it in. The top LCD indicated that I had room on my SD card for 9999 photos — and then it hanged. Needed to remove the battery to regain control.

I guess I invoked a buffer overflow on the remaining photos counter.