Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5 shutter not working properly

Today I was photographing at a friends party with my K5 and tamron 28-75 lens. Suddenly after half pressing the shutter and focusing, then fully pressing the button the shutter just wouldn't work. Nothing happened. I changed lens to my pentax 70mm and it still did the same thing. I tried many, many times - focusing first, locking focus on the subject then trying to take the photo with no luck. Finally I gave it to my husband who removed the lens and flicked the mirror in the camera body and voila! Fixed!
Anybody experienced this before? Or know what may have caused it?
Thanks

01-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Was it low on battery? Did you try to pull the battery first?
01-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Was it low on battery? Did you try to pull the battery first?
No, the battery was fully charged, I didn't try to take it out. The memory card still had plenty of space left on it also.
01-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't know, but I'd be concerned about "flicking" the mirror. I'd definitely try removing the battery first, then maybe try sensor cleaning mode (to trigger the shutter/mirror), etc.

Paul

02-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I took it in to our local camera house store last week and explained the problem. The manager there told me it's because I didn't have my aperture ring 'locked in' and set to A. He asked if I always used it in Manual mode, because it's easier just to set it to automatic :/
Anyway, I left it with him to give the camera and the lens a clean. Used it again on the weekend and it's still doing the same thing - working fine, snapping away then all of a sudden it just freezes up! The shutter makes a sound like it's trying to close but the screen just goes slightly dim then opens up again??? I turned it off, removed the battery, then switched it back on again and it works for a while before doing it again. It's really annoying, especially when you miss the moment you're trying to photograph!
02-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does sound like the camera has gained a fault.
Try doing a factory reset in the hope it will return to normality.
02-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
It does sound like the camera has gained a fault.
Try doing a factory reset in the hope it will return to normality.
Yes, this is a known problem with the K5. Not terribly common but has been reported here before
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/212510-scary-issue-k-5-a.html

The normal explanation is a failing mirror motor. I recently had mine replaced under warranty.
Rather than flicking the mirror, a gentle tap on the bottom of the camera normally fixes it. Some have reccomended pulling the battery out and then re-inserting, but I think all that does is nudge the mirror when you turn the camera upside down or when you physically remove the battery.

02-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Yes, this is a known problem with the K5. Not terribly common but has been reported here before
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/212510-scary-issue-k-5-a.html

The normal explanation is a failing mirror motor. I recently had mine replaced under warranty.
Rather than flicking the mirror, a gentle tap on the bottom of the camera normally fixes it. Some have reccomended pulling the battery out and then re-inserting, but I think all that does is nudge the mirror when you turn the camera upside down or when you physically remove the battery.
Sounds like a bad connection to the main board causing similar to a brown out...("The shutter makes a sound like it's trying to close but the screen just goes slightly dim then opens up again").

That's def a pull apart job.